Nicest Gotm I've Seen In A Long Time

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What logo?B)  It's his signature. If that's the case...then my "logo" was developed for my first guitar.  :D

Logo, signature, whatever. I'm talking about the fact that the "signature" was on his second guitar.

MY "logo" was on my first. As was the headstock design. Ten years of planning, design, and forethought, account for a lot. I have the next fifty guitars all planned out, colours, designs, features, etc.

And... its not my signature, but the clowns who stole my last cheque book didnt realise that, and they signed and used all the cheques with my logo :D:D Luckily the bank knew better.

As for the colour.... if you've ever seen natural flame oak, you'll know why i coloured it. It was always going to be a red sunburst (even though i hate them), until someone reckoned i couldnt do a light grey/blue denimy/battleship stain. Dont ever challenge me B)

i get where you coming from but you cant down grade someone for prefering a natural wood finish just because its easier to do,

not downgrade so much...because remember that natural finishes have been all i have successfully done to date...i am just now starting to get into the "other" finishes...staining and opaque colors...and i have to say i have a whole new respect for what that takes...

Wipe on is easy? Have you tried to sand and polish after a wipe on? It's no walk in the park.

umm...yeah i have...it is dead easy compared to trying to sand and polish brushed on 2 part epoxy(which is what i am doing now.)

with wipe on,as i am sure bigd could tell you,the trick is to wipe it on thin and let it dry before scuffing it with steel wool and adding the next coat....or at least that is what i have had the best luck with.

it's hard to get a good build up with wipe on though without a lot of leveling.

i have been experimenting alot with sealer coats of 2 part epoxy,like i said...and i have been adding color to it and thinning it before applying and such...it seems to be working well so far,and it is much tougher(as in scratch resistant) than all of the spray can and wipe ons i have tried...and i can do it right in the house without fuming the place up.

I was kinda diggin' that Thorn worship thing, hehehe...   

I think I shall make that my sig for a few days, I've run out of ideas of my own lately. 

As stated per my signature, Drak. I am now taking credit for every [good] thing you do. :D

EDIT: so much for that

Edited by thegarehanman

Godin that guitar you linked to is amazing, I have wanted that, and if I ever win the lotto I will have him make me one just like it, except maybe swap out parrots for parakeets.

It's a lot of money but for what it is and what goes into it, I'm sure it's worth it. It takes some serious skills to make anything even half as good as that. The indian themed one he posted here was incredible. I really think that it was one of the most detailed guitars I have ever seen, as well as very well themed which I like a lot.

So I also worship in the Thorn temple myself! Jason

I would sell the crucible in a heartbeat if that's why I was making guitars. It was a blast to build...it sounds amazing, but I'm so busy planning and preparing for my next one, I'll have no time to play it. Makes a sweet wall hanging, I must say. I say sell that one so you can make one with a more concave heel.

Well, it was always going to be just a different version of a superstrat. As it progressed, so did other guitars, and it then became the guitar i was going to use as a workshop playable sample. BUT, the neck heel isnt how i make them now (even though it looks huge, its WAY WAY smaller than any bolt-on heel), so its not a true representation of what i do.

At the moment, its booked to do some recordings for a few bands that want to hire it.

Funny thing is, i finished two guitars in one week, both not pre-sold, both for me. Its about time i had my own guitars :D BUT, both are being used by bands for recording, so im STILL un-ormsby'd :D

Im just getting into luithery and im building my 1st guitar... I dont expect it to be perfect but it will be the most beautiful thing ive ever seen... to me at least... and I plan to enter it into GOTM... But the instruments being created make me wonder where im going to the the money for this addiction i feel coming on.... But im glad I started doing this..

Just so you're not suprised, your first guitar will probably not be the most beautiful thing you've ever seen, initially. Right when you finish building it, you're able to see all of your mistakes. It's good to see your mistakes as you'll take every precaution never to repeat them, but you'll kick yourself for having made them in the first place(as the ways to avoid them become painfully apparent after the fact). However, after having it for a year, you'll forget about all of the mistakes because no one else will notice them and they'll have stopped bothering you. At least, that's how my first build went.