All Maple Les Paul

and it would sound horrible and NOT AT ALL like an LP

Seriously... there's a reason why there are *very* few all maple guitars. Only I know of is the Lynch ESP pro model(s)

Some hollow body Rickenbackers are all maple. not sure about the solid bodies...

Seriously... there's a reason why there are *very* few all maple guitars. Only I know of is the Lynch ESP pro model(s)

sorry,bud...you are just a little clueless...

there are a ton of all maple guitars on the market...alot of them in the metal scene from as far back as judas priest.

i am not a fan of all maple guitars...they are a bit "harsh" for me....but to say they sound horrible is just untrue.once again it is all preference.

a maple lp?well...i think making it semi hollow would help tame the harshness.

I just finished an all maple telecaster (body is bigleaf maple and neck is eastern maple) it sounds just fine, no "twang" to speak of. You might get that result if the body was made from eastern maple (waste of wood) , but bigleaf (wrn. maple) is much softer and lighter.

Edited by Southpa

Are you talking about western curly or eastern hard curly? Big tonal difference.

I think if it were me I would prefer a contrasting body wood (as far as looks go). Having Maple Maple Maple may distract from the look of the figured top and back. All that aside nothing wrong with going a different direction with a design.

Peace,Rich

Where's the maple love, guys? I think maple makes a great tone wood. I think most Rics are maple, and I know I've heard of other all maple guitars. My first project was a maple solid body with a couple of strat pups in it. Sounds great. Defenity brighter than an ash or alder strat, but still very nice, and different too. Isn't too harsh or twangy at all.

I think an all maple LP would sound alright. Different than a regular LP, for sure though. Like someone else said, it might be better to go with a darker wood for the back, just to have a little more contrast there. Or maybe just a darker finish on the back? Duno. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kirks guitars are alder with maple neck thru. There is nothing wrong with all maple guitars. They are great for down tuning because they retain that clarity you loose with warmer tone woods. Plus if you throw a set of passive mid range output pickups like paf's or 59s you have a great rock guitar. In comparison ill let everyone know how my solid purple heart guitar sounds in bout a week.

MzI

Kirks guitars are alder with maple neck thru.

the ltd kirk is all maple for some reason...the original is alder

http://espguitars.com/guitars_kirk.htm

the real mystery to me is why not offer an original alder bodied neck thru esp(not ltd)that isn't already all scarred up...and why charge over $4000 for the scarred up version?

$4299 MSRP for a relic'd axe is a bit much, IMHO.

especially considering the only difference between it and the $2300 one is the neck thru and some scratched paint and worn out stickers.

you realize the ouija board finish was way after the original kh?

i remember when the very first kh hit the market(the non stressed version of the kh-2 vintage)

my buddy put one on lay-a-way...he never finished paying for it though for some reason that i can't remember.

:D Hi,

Don't let anybody stop you from making something you really want to experiment with. I would suggest that you chamber the body, and if that doesn't ease the "brightness" enough, add a neck of mahogany or black korina. I made a LP type with a chambered naturally-stained maple body, black korina/pao ferro neck, and 490/498 pickups, amd seasoned Lp players loved it. It found a very happy home. Used an oil finish, too. So you CAN break some of the rules!

Peace,

Dave

Just curious if anyone has ever seen an All Maple Les Paul? Im gonna make a les paul for my next project just wondering what everyone would think of one. It would be

Ultra curly maple top

Semi curly maple body

Ultra curly  maple neck

Opinions? Yes? No? Also anyone got an idea what kinda tone would come out of the thing?

He didn't ask about chambered guitars, he didn't ask about other types of woods, he specifically stated his aims.

Yes, but what good does it do him if we simply say "no?" The alternatives we offer are simply that: alternatives. He can compare what we say an all maple guitar will do compared to [say] a chambered or mahogany backed guitar and then go from there. No one said "you can't," but rather, "you shouldn't." And the tone he gets from an all maple guitar could very well be his cup of tea, but every one knows what an ol' fashioned LP sounds like and if he expects that tone, well then he's been misinformed. my 1.5 cents

peace,

russ

Hey Drak,

Your answer was to the directly to the point and on topic.

Also, I answered the specific question he asked. Anyone here could make recommendations about wood switches, but that's not what he asked, I stayed directly on topic, and an all-Maple guitar would be a boat anchor and sound like crap IMO.

When you say all Maple guitar. Are you thinking hard, soft, possible mix of the two or just wouldn't make any difference (Maple Bad- at least in this situation). I think I have remember reading in a thread your opinion of western Maple was not so hot, and all Hard Maple would be pretty bright and hefty.

Peace, Rich