All Maple Les Paul

an LP has such a mass of wood. You can get away with making strat bodies and other heavily "cavitied" bodies out of soft maple.. I know several models of the dingwall basses use soft maple and they sound fine.

But a full 2.25" thick LP body made out of solid maple will most likely sound like crap and possibly crack some vertabrae in the process :D

an LP has such a mass of wood.  You can get away with making strat bodies and other heavily "cavitied" bodies out of soft maple.. I know several models of the dingwall basses use soft maple and they sound fine. 

But a full 2.25" thick LP body made out of solid maple will most likely sound like crap and possibly crack some vertabrae in the process :D

Marcus,

You got me curious so out comes the scale. These are my findings based on average sized body blanks (23" x 14" give or take an inch on the length).

Black Walnut-11lbs 8oz.

Black Limba-10lbs 10oz.

Sapele-11lbs 6oz.

Alder-9lbs 12oz.

Khaya-11lbs

Hond. Mahog-10lbs 3oz

Basswood-8lbs. 14oz.

Western Maple- 9lbs 14oz.

Eastern Hard Maple-15lbs 2oz.

All body blanks were in the 1-7/8"-1-3/4" range.

Peace,Rich

just checked the website and the Rickenbacker solids, (I checked The 200 series like the Glen Frey model) are all maple. just took this line from the site.... "Eastern hardrock Maple is our wood of choice for necks and bodies"

sweet christ, i didnt mean to start this much of a contraversie. I was just gonna do the les paul for one, im gonna do a serious les paul with mohogany for neck and back, was just curious what the sound would be of an all maple and if the look would be appealing. I have a hard time seeing things till they are totally built.

All maple can sound good B)

My main (as in only) electric guitar is a 14 year-old Warmoth soloist, Western maple back, quilt top. Reverse explorer (was really into George Lynch at the time) Birdseye maple neck w/ ebony fingerboard. Floyd Rose w/ Tremsetter, Duncan '59 bridge & neck + Duncan Vintage Strat in middle. Very clear sounding, but not overly bright, good sustain, very versatile. I get a lot of compliments on the tone. :D

Definitely not a Les Paul, though :D

Mike

I have an all maple birdseye guitar that i made, set neck, and sounds quite good, but it was my first build with no help from this website or books as i didn't find any.

its quite heavy but not overly heavy and the body and neck are thicker than normal

100_0333.jpg

sweet christ, i didnt mean to start this much of a contraversie. I was just gonna do the les paul for one, im gonna do a serious les paul with mohogany for neck and back, was just curious what the sound would be of an all maple and if the look would be appealing. I have a hard time seeing things till they are totally built.

I think you got your answer in short order. People that like to gab like me just hijacked the thread. Sorry dude. (I need to learn to be more like Drak concise and to the point).

Peace,Rich

How would a mahogany neck/1 piece maple body sound? I would guess a little brighter than a maple topped maple neck guitar?

I have a guitar here with a Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany laminate neck, Ebony board, and a solid Flamed Maple body. I can't even begin to tell you guys about the acoustic sound. It's as if the guitar literally shouts at you when you play it. It is not too bright, tinny, twangy, or any other preconceived Maple predjudice. And I had a Maple/Rosewood neck on it when it started. It still wasn't twangy. One day I'll make an unplugged acoustic recording of this guitar compared to another similar guitar. It's quite amazing.

As mentioned, it's a great way to tighten up down tuning. I'm making a solid Quilt 7 string now that is fantastic. And I'm not tone deaf either. I have many guitars with many woods and only a few are Maple. I think Maple is best suited for a body if it's slimmed down. Both guitars I mentioned are slim. Hollowing out Maple is okay, but it actually increases the twang factor IMO because now you have that wood reflecting in on itself. (think about all Maple acoustics) The magic of an all Maple guitar is in keeping the mass together. And the tight lows means you can put warm, sweet pickups in there and not get muddy.

For a standard Les Paul, it is weight prohibitive, although I've played some Mahogany Gibsons that would tear your shirt. But an LP shape, slimmed down to 1 3/4" will a fully carved top, tummy cut, and sculpted heel would be a great guitar. I also soon want to use Maple and carve it out from the back like a Parker. So you'd have a carved top, and then you'd sort of follow that carve from the back. Kind of like two scoops taken out of the back or like a semi-hollow with no back. If I did it right I'd get some midrange projection, and actually get some lower frequency vibrations too.

Yes I'm aware of the differences between Hard and Soft Maple. My guitars are Hard Maple, and I think Soft Maple has a greater twang factor. In dampening the extreme highs it actually pronounces the upper mids, whereas Hard Maple has a flatter response across the mids and highs. Don't write this wood off! Instead figure out how to design to it's strengths.

• 5 months later...

His tone was ok, in the early days, when I think he was playing a Gibson V, but I have to say, his tone for many years now is crap, especially one song I can remember where he's soloing with an orchestra in the background. It might just be the most lousy guitar tone I've ever heard. It's probably just his dull personality coming through the guitar, rather than the wood of the guitar.

Carvin used to make all maple, set-neck, 24.75" scale guitars, and at least in one case, it sounded very good to me.

I once owned a 1982 all maple Gibson "E2" Explorer that sounded very good, with the exception that the low E string was dead no matter what you did to try and fix it! But, the top five strings sounded excellent! I absolutely LOVED the fat, baseball bat neck on the thing. I wish I knew what the diminsions were on that neck so that I could duplicate them on my new guitars to be built!