Inlay Rising / Cracked Lacquer

B):D I just bought a Les Paul with the

ser # 00131212 (2001) for $800.00 Tobacco sunburst, Standard Deluxe , the Inlay is rising up in a couple of spots on the fret board and either this guitar is just been abused this badly or Gibson had a bad day at the Factory, The Lacquer is noticeably cracked all across the Body

Has any body run into this problem or heard of such a factory defect!!

Max!

Sounds like it was subject to high temeprature and stress changes at one point in it's journey to you.......

On the good side your 1/2 way to a classic in primo condition, now if you can just get the parts to age as well and the binding to yellow :D

That's funney as hell Brian because the pawn shop I bought it from

(who is also a good friend of mine) was told it was a 1967 Les Paul ,

I let him know He'd been had as far as the year was concerned.

This guitar is wierd it needs a fret job , new inlay and alittle a TLC!

if I didn't know better I think it was from 1967 too...........

Do I hang on to this or should I get my money back neck is straight as arrow!!

It does need some work!! :DB)

Guest AlexVDL

I'll give you 800 bucks for it right away.. unseen :-)

I love finish cracks, and the rising inlays can be solved by taking out the frets and plane the fretboard. If the inlays are loose just take em out and glue them in again with superglue.

If the wood of the fingerboard is too dry, it shrinks, but the plastic of the inlays do not shrink. That's why they could come loose. Or the glue wasn't ok.

But still, with the finish cracks and rising inlays I'd still pay the 800 for it. A Gibson les Paul will cost ya about twice or more here in the Netherlands... and it would even be 2nd hand :D

All right the Consensus is in, It's a Keeper You guys have convinced

me to hang on to it and give it a home.

Thanks AlexVdl , Brian for your input My Gibson collection is almost Complete V , Explorer, Les Paul. Any body got a Firebird for sale

just kidding .

Thanks again Guys

Max! :D:DB)

After looking at the pictures you sent me it looks as though somebody actually did that to the finish to try and make it look older, the reason I'm saying this would be because of the headstock area, almost looks wiped like a cloth moistened with some sort of chemical. An you can see the area they missed up the middle, or is that just the photo?

The knobs look like the older style as well :D

• 2 weeks later...

! We'll guy's the final verdict is in It's a 1976 Les Paul (labeled a deluxe)

but shipped as a standard. It's all original and the way I found out was

I took it to a Gibson Level A restoration tech. " Eclipse Guitars" This guy

humbled me as far as teching go's He's doing a 80% full restoration

Including NEW frets Re=finished head stock, Buff job on the rest ,

and Inlay Repair for $400.00 but of course his A/C was broken down

when I got there. ( In my HVAC Service Van) the bartering started.

It ended with me paying $200.00 for the full job ,and him with a nice cool shop!!!

Thanks for all your Input Guys and gals

Max :DB)

You Know This guy is Pretty good Tech He admitted that the first coat of

Necrosuleois ( A+ Spelling) coat didn't set right ,that it had left a Halo

around the Logo , which of course I would have never Noticed. But he

told me It would be two or three weeks before I see my Baby (weep weep)

and every day i'm saying to my self as it's a 100 + degree day in Denver

Come on Baby don't let me down. Refering to his A/C sys.

I'll close with I saying the Whitesnake tour last Night and there are only two words ..............Tommy Aldridge what a show man a :DB):D:D nd Tight ass

Drummer.......Stold the Show!!!!!!!!!!

Max!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got her back today She's BEAUTIFUL his guy did a great job!!

I love teching my guitars but i know when I'm in over my head and this

was definitely a job for a pro!!

His name is Mike Patton W/ (Eclipse Guitars in Denver) top notch level a tech!!

Max! :D

A '76 Lester for 1K? (with the bartered work done)...you got a deal of a sweet axe. Congrats. Yeah, pics please. Finish cracks are kool in my book. I just got a Dillion gold top LP that bugged me everytime I looked at that MOP logo. With Tokai finsh details, Gibson tuners, switch, pots, knobs and a Tonepro bridge and killer Duncan Custom p90's, this thing looked/sounded unreal. I got some Gibson decals from Ebay and my friend, blacked out the headstock, decaled, and buried it under deep clear...the ultimate law-suit copy! :D Enjoy the LP, sounds like a killer collection in the works.

Thanks Again Brian,

What the hell can be done about this Angle It plays good But The Bridge , when the strings Cross it, lay on the back of the Bridge before they

enter the tail piece. I was told " this common" well not on my V or My Explorer!!

Anybody got some input!!

I got some Gibson decals from Ebay and my friend, blacked out the headstock, decaled, and buried it under deep clear...the ultimate law-suit copy! :D Enjoy the LP, sounds like a killer collection in the works.

" Repent Sinner " for you have sinned!! LOL

To Funny My buddy did the same with his Mexican Strat

Guest AlexVDL
Thanks Again Brian,

What the hell can be done about this Angle It plays good But The Bridge , when the strings Cross it, lay on the back of the Bridge before they

enter the tail piece. I was told " this common" well not on my V or My Explorer!!

Hey Max, it is like you said common on les pauls. I have had lot's of them which had the same problem. The neck angle on a V or explorer is different. Yours look okay to me. Only the 52 les pauls with the wrapunder tailpiece have a less degree neck angle. It's no problem and you don't have to worry about it.

Your problem occurs especially if the bridge is placed to much backwards. This causes you to intonate the saddles forewards, so the strings will touch the back of the Tunamatic brigde. You could raise the tailpiece a bit, but you could also wrap your strings around the tailpiece.

When you restring just insert the string at the front of your tailpiece, then wrap it around it and go over the bridge and to the tuners. Like on this pic:

pickup_lg.jpg

But you will have a tunamatic bridge between.

Good luck bro :D

I read about wraping the strings like that on the TOM bridge/tailpiece in Dan Erlywines book too. I also heard it makes string bending easier...I gotta try that on my law-suit gold top B) next time I change strings.

Here's a pic for ya Max...When I saw this decal, I only saw it before on old Gibson ukulele's...I thought it was the perfect tongue in cheek look for a copy,,,and 'The' fit perfect in the hump. It was real old and yellowed and did'nt blend in as good as the other script. I smile everytime I see it. :D

http://www.montypics.com/pic.php?url=/butn...05_0526_IMG.jpg

No Wes your right I tryed that with no help....... Alex thats a killer Idea ,Someone

told me that the greater the angle on the strings from tail piece to bridge the greater your sustian is is this true??

Now I'm thinkin of Golding out tyhe hole Guitar what do you think???

Hey butnut I tryed to open that page but got abunch of giberish instead try it again!!

Thanks people I'm digin the Info!!!!

Max! :DB)

Someone told me that the greater the angle on the strings from tail piece to bridge the greater your sustian is is this true??

In theory, yes. Due to the higher pressure of strings towards bridge, the connection between strings and body will be firmer. This causes the vibrations of the strings to be more fully transfered to the body, which should increase sustain.

If there is a notable difference or not is some thing I do not know, though.