Hardtail, Strat Style

I was just remembering that I'm not too comfortable on TOMs (duh!) and I'm willing to try the hardtail. But for any string through bodies, can you drill the strings' holes straight down? I'm thinking that while it's easy and quick, it unfortunately kinks the strings a lot and makes them more prone to breaking. With a long drill, is there any easy way to drill at a correct angle? I was thinking around 45 degrees down, but that'd require a good angular accuracy and a longer drill. Has anyone done it?

It's the same break angle you have on a strat tremolo. It's not a problem. The only time I've drilled at an angle is on string throughs with a tune-o-matic or wooden bridge. Then I installed the ferrules at the same angle so they were recessed at an angle too. My drill press can move in all directions, so I just set the angle and proceeded normally. Actually if you try to drill at an angle the bit will walk so I drilled a little cup hole straight down just about 1/16" first so the bit could nestle into that on it's way in.

Mhmm good point about the Strat. Worse is I have one too haha! But I really think it's not good to keep the guitar in tune. Ah well for a hardtail it won't matter that much anyway. I think that it'll be a string through.

If you don't have a drill press though, is it possible to drill properly at an angle with a manual drill? Or does it pretty much all have to be by eye? I can think of an angle template to use, but I can't see how it'd be 100% accurate unfortunately.