Need To Remove/replace Binding

I am absolutely 100% unhappy with my first binding job.

My first route wasn't quite even and i fixed it up with a second pass (on another day using a different setup), but the second pass was a hair shallower than the first so I have a ledge. Seemed miniscule, however it has created a gap all the way around.

bottom line, it lokes like crap and i can't remove it as it will pull big chunks of wood out with it. Could I just route it back out again? I know binding can catch on fire but I wondered if anyone has evver routed binding before?

I can't answer your question about routing off binding. I had a similar problem and took this approach.

I recently removed binding that I had glued using CA glue. I used the CA remover and applied it to the edges and gently pressured it off bit by bit. It took a while and I did pull off a couple of very small pieces of the body - splinters really. Then I routed out the channel to make it slightly larger and to clean it up. I reinstalled the binding although this time making it slightly thicker to match the channel. I was laminating the binding so I could control the thickness to some extent. For the tear out, I filled it using a wood putty bought from StewMac. The finish is going to be an opaque finish so this was ok for me. May not work in your application.

Yes, you can route it off.

It's more messy than routing wood, since it fires static charge plastic chips everywhere, which the cling to whatever they land on so good dust extraction is advisable. You may also bust out big chunks of binding in sections a few inches long, but I've never had it pull out wood or cause chipping.

I can't remeber if they still do, but lmi sold a cutter that fit a dremel for undercutting the binding to remove another point of adhesion. But with care, a carbide disk would POSSIBLY have the same results

Yes, you can route it off.

It's more messy than routing wood, since it fires static charge plastic chips everywhere, which the cling to whatever they land on so good dust extraction is advisable.  You may also bust out big chunks of binding in sections a few inches long, but I've never had it pull out wood or cause chipping.

Cool. Thanks Setch. Good to know.