Which Distortion Pedal?

Kith

ok, which is best to buy for rock/metal, some blues  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmmm, I thought I hit the "add reply button," I guess I didn't.

I chose other because I use a Visual Sound "Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde" Distortion/Overdrive pedal. It's got two seperate channels with seperate adjustments for each. One is overdrive, the other is distortion. You can get any sound, from sweet blues to death metal, on it. I love it, and I'll never use anything else.

my $.02

peace,

russ

What you're asking doesn't really help. What style of music do you play?

Digitech DF-7 = I haven't tried it, but I have heard preview clips and I'd say forget it.

Boss DS-1 = Good price, sounds good, but I wouldn't recommend it for metal. If you crank all the knobs and do finger tapping it sounds like a distorted nintendo. Good for everyday classic rock stuff to modern day rock (nickleback for example)

Boss Metal Master = Boss doesn't make a metal master as far as I know. I think you're thinking of digitech. I own one of these and it's pretty damn nice and covers all the distortion bases I need. It mods a boss metal zone and a pro-co ratt.

DOD or Digitech Grunge = My girlfriend has one. It sounds really beefy and if you want lots of bass go with this instead of the boss ds-1

Digitech Death Metal = I haven't tried it but I have heard mixed reviews

Line6 crunchtone = haven't tried it or heard any reviews

Line6 uber metal = the best metal pedal I've heard and tried. It has 2 built in noise gates. If you want anything more beefy and distorted than this, be prepared to buy an amp head.

I have tried the Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde. It is a really nice pedal but it's not the distortion or overdrive I am looking for. I cranked the bloody thing and it sounds like a solando. I don't know how Russ is getting death metal lol

The proco rat is sweet. It sounds like a beefy Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde when cranked. I would rather get the proco rat than the Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde.

I did try the Boss metal zone. I tried it side by side in the same amp as the Metal Master and I chose the metal master. The metal zone is good but not great. Personally I find boss pedals to lack something which could be the reason why Boss is the number 1 modded pedal lol.

Like I said, I don't know what music you're playing and all, but if you play blues, classic rock, hard modern rock, early metal, and thick nu-metal, go with a Boss OD-20. I had one but I didn't like it (my boss theory lol), and I didn't need to cover that many basses.

for metal = metal master or uber metal

for classic rock = ds-1

for modern rock = dr. jekel... or digitech grunge

for metal, classic rock, modern rock, overdrive, high-gain overdrive, crunch, fuzz, blues, blah blah blah = boss od-20

If you have lots of money, buy an amp head, like a Bogner Uberschall :D I REALLY want to try one of those bad boys.

-Jamie

I have a compressor at the beginning of my FX chain(just added that one lately). It makes a big difference on the Jekyl and Hyde for some reason. I'm no pedal afficianado, but I like this thing. I don't play any deathmetal either, so maybe my idea of deathmetal distortion is pretty outdated, but it can't hurt to go try it.

Nitefly SA: The uber metal can do it. It covers all bases - high gain overdrive, high gain distortion, and thick peavey 5150 distortion. Go to line 6 site and listen to preview clips of it. Speaking of which, I finally got to try a 5150 (sorry, I mean 6505 lol) and if you really want that type of distortion, you should just get the uber metal. The big difference? The 6505 is more warm (hence the tubes), feedbacks like crazy, and is not as high-gained.

If you're not going to want to cover all the bases you can go for the Boss metal zone, or the pro-co rat. In the end, there's going to be disagreements and only YOU can be the judge as to what you like and want. It's almost like the whole Ovation debate. No one can tell you what the best is. If you want to dish out a few bucks a nice preamp would work. The marshall JMP-1 sounds excellent from the clips I have heard.

Hopefully in the next few days I can go try a bogner uberschall. Listening to the clips makes me crave it even more.

-Jamie

I've tried the Line 6 uber metal, the Metal Zone (I regret selling mine when Enron went under), and the Distortion Factory. As far as most versatile, I'd say tonally it's the DF-7 Distortion Factory. I thought the models were relatively convincing, and you get everything from a Ibanez TS-9 to the Big Muff to the Metal Zone. The only problem is it's a little bit of a paing switching models on the fly.

I highly suggest sitting down with all the pedals you want at a guitar shop and deciding which one you like. Or take em home and put them in your rig. Most music places will give you a trial period to return it if you don't like it. I'd start with the DF-7, then the Uber Metal, then try the single tone pedals if you're not satisfied with either of those.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

What you're asking doesn't really help. What style of music do you play?

Digitech DF-7 = I haven't tried it, but I have heard preview clips and I'd say forget it.

You mean these sound clips? I played with one, and it sounded pretty good. I especially like the ProCo Rat and Metal Zone emulations. Having owned both of those and the Big Muff Pi, I thought those emulations sounded pretty close.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas..

Iv never used it But hears A link to some sounds of the digitech Death Metal

http://www.digitech.com/products/DeathMetal.htm#

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Barber Electronics Direct Drive.. It's more for of an overdrive pedal so you'll never get to the death metal stage but with some hot pickups, you can push it quite far.. As a blues rock overdrive, though, I can't say I've come across a better one.. It responds well to your picking dynamics and lets the tone and character of your guitar come through..

I've got the Boss Metal Zone as well as the DS-1.. I've never been to fond of the DS-1 but I've had some good sounds from the Metal Zone.. It does have a slightly digital nuance, though, so I tend not to use it if I'm going for a more vintage sound..

I'm also using the Marshall Jackhammer.. Must be said, though, that the distortion channel is crap.. Waaay too bassy for my ears, even after turning the bass down.. The OD channel, on the other hand, is a lot more usable and heavy enough for metal.. It also sounds warmer and less digital that the Metal Zone.. On top of that you get a great deal of control in terms of EQ once you get your head around all the knobs..

If I had to pick just one, though, I'd go for the Direct Drive..

I have used many a distortion pedal...one of the best ones I used is the Digitech Metal Master and another one I enjoy very much is the Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion (you can find that for like $40 on ebay).

The mega distortion can cover the range of disortion that the DS-1 can and a whole lot more...it can get a lot heavier and also cover a nice growling range and get a kind of overdrive pedal sound to it if you want...although it can't replicate a full out overdrive pedal. So thats what my vote goes for...

Well, i use a Boss metal zone... and i find it very good for pretty much anything. From Metallica to even Santana, i like it... Though It seems to me any guitars/pickups sound the same in it. (my HSS guitar sounds almost the same no matter what pickup(s) are used)

Only thing it can't do is blues... not enough transparency. The volume is always the same no matter what level the volume is at and how hard you play.

Still, a great distortion pedal :D And a cheap one at that!

I have a Yamaha "magic stomp" it has 198 sounds 98 preset, 98 user made, almost anything you want. I download some off the net, and make my own. It is sweet. It even hooks up to your Computer (usb) and you can make them anyway you want them. it was like 130 bucks.

i bought the Uber metal pedal by line 6 and i absolutly LOVE it i think is replaces the DS-1 as the MUST-HAVE distortion for all guitarists.it as great tone and good warmth not for a digital pedal, for any pedal. it is exactly what i was looking for. i recommend it to any one that is looking for distortion somewhere between gain boost and death metal (wich is everybody)