Coil Splitting And Strat 5 Way Switch.

that_pink_queen

Hey, I have two questions for you guys.

First of all, does anybody have any good tutorials for coil splitting? I cant find any good ones on the internet. :D

And another one, how would you make the 5 way switch on a strat type guitar control the tone. I know you could make it control the volume by just adding different resistors to the settings, but how would you make it so the switch controls tone?

Thanks for helping.

Peace :D

Do you mean literally re-wiring the pickup (ie, a 2 conductor pickup into a 4 conductor pickup), or are you simply talking basic wiring? Because we really, really don't need tutorials for wiring a coil tap or coil split. Look at most any manufacturer website (Seymour Duncan, f'r instance), or simpler yet, head to Stewmac.com and peruse the free info sheet section, and you'll find various basic switching options. Apologies if that's not what you meant.

As to the 5-way, that sounds an awful lot like what Varitone switches do. Google for that, or wait until BigD shows up (he makes the things, might be willing to share some insight).

Thanks for replying,

I know how to wire the stuff after I get into the pickup, I just dont know what to do inside the pickup. Im doing it to a gibson '57 if that helps. I dont know what wires to change once I take off the pickup cover.

For the tone slider, this is what I am trying to do:

I want to rewire the strat like this:

Push pull pot for bridge pickup ---Volume, selects deselects pickup(pull to select)

Push pull pot for middle pickup ---Volume, selects deselects pickup(pull to select)

Push pull pot for neck pickup---Volume, selects deselects pickup(pull to select)

Basically you will be able to control the volume and turn the pickups on and off individually. Then though I have no tone control because I will have used the hole where the tone pot usually is. Instead of having a nonfunctional slot where the pickup selector usually goes, I want to have a slider that controls the tone.

So if you put the old pickup selector in position one, it will set the tone to 10

Put it in position two it will set the tone to 8

And so on....

Understand a little better now?

Thanks again.

Edited by that_pink_queen

So I take it you have a 2 wire hum and want to split it, unprofesional though, it cant be done without rewinding the pickup.

It would also be esier to use the 5 way as normal then using a concentric put in one position for volume and tone and a push pull in another for neck on to give you complete switching variations.

Edited by 68 lost souls

So I take it you have a 2 wire hum and want to split it, unprofesional though, it cant be done without rewinding the pickup.

It would also be esier to use the 5 way as normal then using a concentric put in one position for volume and tone and a push pull in another for neck on to give you complete switching variations.

I don't know how to do it, and I know it's fiddly, but it can be done without rewinding the pickup. You wind each coil in a humbucker seperately, then wire them up in series, so you just need to 'undo' that, and bring the leads for each coil out. I've seen a photo 'how to' on this topic somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

The problem is not "how to do it", thats self explanitory once its all apart... the problem is "how do i solder a wire to that tiny tiny 'smaller than a human hair' coil winding, that dissintegrates as soon as i touch it with my soldering iron?"

Once you run out of spare wire, you then face the problem of trying to de-wax the coils, and trying to unwind the pickup one more wind.

Done it before, major pain in the butt.