Mcfadden Dyes

I already have 3 colors of McFadden's liquid dyes, and I need some more colors for an upcoming project. I'm pretty sure since I've already got a base of colors with the McFadden, I should just stick with it. I've only gotten one problem with it. In the catalog I ordered it from it says, "assorted water soluble concentrated dyes," but on the bottles it says it's nitrocellulose based. My question is, what should I be thinning this stuff with? So far I've just been using lacquer thinner for wiping off excess, but does anyone know whether I can use water? I guess it doesn't really make much of a difference, just curious as to what the base actually is of this stuff.

take just a drop and mix it with water and see if it actually does mix. also, when you get it on your hands see if water will get it off. :D

Duh, forgot to post my main question. Are the stewmac metallic dyes really superior to all other dyes? If so, why?

Not per se. StewMac sells repackaged TransTint dyes, which you can also get at various other outlets. They're metal-acid complex dyes, which means they're more fade resistant than 'regular' powdered anilines, and they've got the advantage that they'll dissolve in water or alcohol/lacquer thinner, so they're more versatile that way than, say, the LMII metal acid dyes.