Clear After Color

johnsilver

If you wan't to speed up finishing you can buy a heat lamp and heat bulb for around 20 bucks. I use it, works wonders. I can build pretty wet coats(about 10 a day like Drak) and stick it under the heat lamp for 20 minutes to cure the finish. Usually building thick with nitro and letting each coat bake you can buff after 3 days. Passes the fingernail test AND the sniff test.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...972&hl=infrared

Running a fan for 15 minutes or so just after you sprayed the finish also helps evaporate the solvents.

...just incase you are interested. :D

Oh yeah, if the color coat is dry you can start clearing as soon as possible.

Edited by AlGeeEater

Algee's advice is honorable and of good import, but he didn't give out any cautions with that heat lamp stuff.

You can bubble a finish in under 5 minutes if the lamp is too close or too hot, setting you back possibly weeks, and the fumes are flammable, so it is an explosion risk also.

No problem with what he's doing, except he didn't include any risks or warnings.

And until I see one of his guitars buffed and finished, I'll hold opinions on the 3-day lacquer business, I don't think he has enough experience yet to proclaim such things.

Not saying it's untrue, but I know how long he's been shooting, and no one could possibly figure out all the pitfalls in that space of time. :D

Algee's advice is honorable and of good import, but he didn't give out any cautions with that heat lamp stuff.

You can bubble a finish in under 5 minutes if the lamp is too close or too hot, setting you back possibly weeks, and the fumes are flammable, so it is an explosion risk also.

No problem with what he's doing, except he didn't include any risks or warnings.

And until I see one of his guitars buffed and finished, I'll hold opinions on the 3-day lacquer business, I don't think he has enough experience yet to proclaim such things.

Not saying it's untrue, but I know how long he's been shooting, and no one could possibly figure out all the pitfalls in that space of time.  :D

Yeah I didn't good catch! I actually use a heat box with the lamp around 2 feet away from the surface. It gets up to about 140-150 degrees in there.

I've been shooting quite a while Drak, just not with guns for too long. I've been doing spray cans for a year and a half or so(I know, not TOO long but hey theres a lot to learn in a year).

Here's a guitar I buffed in 3 days using my method:

DSC01467.jpg

It's the first guitar I ever shot using McFaddens nitro.

here's another few shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01468.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01470.jpg

I usually get lucky with finishes though. It DOES however, take some experimenting on scraps to not have any problems like I *always* do B)

P.S.-Shut up about the pickgaurd, this guitar was for my little cousin :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

From what I can see, that looks beautiful.

I'll take one cup of decaf, please and thanks.  :D  B)

You teenagers are really starting to piss Drak off, you're getting good so quickly!

Thanks a lot, Drak! :D

:D You take sugar with that?

Hey, thanks again! Like I said it takes ton's of practice and reading from the more experienced to get it right B)

Thanks for the help.

No disrespect to anyone, to each his own for his own reasons. But I don't plan to put a guitar under a heat lamp. Like I said, I'm in no hurry. Time is critical to just about everything else I do, and I do guitars so I don't have to hurry (among many other reasons). So far I'm struggling with the different mentality. But, its training.

Algee, beautiful finish.

That looks like an 80's model Mr. Coffee :D

Thanks for the help.

No disrespect to anyone, to each his own for his own reasons.  But I don't plan to put a guitar under a heat lamp.  Like I said, I'm in no hurry.  Time is critical to just about everything else I do, and I do guitars so I don't have to hurry (among many other reasons).  So far I'm struggling with the different mentality.  But, its training. 

Algee, beautiful finish. 

That looks like an 80's model Mr. Coffee  B)

Yeah, I was just giving you a suggestion. Thought you where in a rush, but i'm glad you're not. Taking your time is *always* a good thing!

Thanks!

:D Yep, it is! Still works too :D