Good Way To Learn About The Workings Of Guitars?

Greetings

I'm in the market for a new guitar and thought instead of going to a plain old route of going to the local music shops to get one I'd try my hand at building one. The only problem is I'm not really sure on how to go about things. I've been playing for about 10 years but have never really learned much about the workings of a guitar. Sure, I've done work on my guitars but I've never done anything big, for those kind of jobs I always send it into a repair shop. So I thought I'd ask you guys if building a guitar from scratch is a good way to learn the workings of a guitar? Is there any good books on the subject? Any words of warning?

Thanks in advance!

:D <----- I like em' !

A good book to get is Melvin Hiscock's "Build Your own Electric Guitar" Buy it, read it, read it again. Then plan on what kind of build you are after. Depending on how confident you are at wood-working, you could build it all from scratch. Or go the easier route (I would recomend this) and buy a bolt on neck or through-body neck and then just make the body and put everything together. FYI, it will NOT be cheaper to make your own guitar vs. buying a new one and it will take a while. But it is pretty fun. :D

Just be aware. Guitarbuilding is addictive