Co-op Wood Shops

verhoevenc

Back about thirty years ago we had a co-op type operation in Richmond. I wasn't part of it back then but I seem to remember that the first time someone injured themselves on a lathe it was doomed.

There were also issues, I think, with who pays for something when it breaks. I let folks use some of my tools with the understanding that if you break it you fix it, unless it is something that is old and creaky anyhow. You also bring your own bits and blades. Recently a live center died on the lathe and the guy turning simply took it to the machine shop and had a new bearing pressed in.

I can't imagine what insurance would cost for something like this. I know that I have to carry liability insurance so that I can sign a lease on a shop even if i don't do a splinter of work for anyone but myself, and the stuff ain't cheap. It costs me over $100 per month and doesn't cover stuff like breakins.

The military shops don't have to worry about liability 'cause you can't sue the Federal Gov't.

Anyone out there a lawyer or insurance person?

I use a woodshop on my college's campus for $40 a semester. All I had to do was sign a waiver and take a test on proper tool usage. I'll take some pics when I get back in there in a few weeks. They have everything, it's awesome!

Yeah, UMiami has one, and I'm attempting to get into it to use it, but it's in the Engineering school, and you have to get STRICT permission to use it if you're not one. So I'm making my building a guitar a "project of cost analysis and business" lol. HOWEVER it takes awhile (in the process now), and also somehow they set the place on fire.... so it's been down for some time now and I don't know when I'll get in lol.

Chris

Haha thats funny because I have this place nearby my house called the wood workers club. Theres a section full of wood and in the back they have tons of tools that you have access too for a monthly fee. I guess they were smart enough to cock up that plan because last time I was there, a bunch of people were in the shop

I have this place nearby my house called the wood workers club.

Yep, the MD one is also a local Woodcraft store. Xebryus, I was in there last week and they've got a bunch of very nice S2S bloodwood. I'm sorely tempted (but need to pay off a bandsaw first).

Best thing to do is ask around with people who are hardwood suppliers and cabinet makers, if there is such a place near you, they should know about it.

Man, I have been at this school for 4 years and I just found out about it about 8 months ago. They call it the "Crafts Center". They have all kinds of "studios" ytou can access, pottery, lapidary, a dark room, all kinds of crap. Good luck using the engineering schools stuff. I am at a college with a huge engineering school and they wont let you go near stuff. I did sneak into the metal shop with my girlfriend a semester ago and got to mess around in there for a while. I am really suprised that the shop I work in even exists. I can imagine the liability being an issue. I wonder if because it's a state school that it's similar to the military base situation.

Theres a place where I live called the carpenters square and I think you can pay to use the shop there, I'm not sure so I'll check it out for you guys and see if such a place does exist.

EDIT: http://www.thecarpenterssquare.com/Start.html

go to about us>what we offer>coop

just so you know its possible,theres only one though and its where i live, but I can't afford it,its $16 an hour in case anyone cares

Edited by haggardguy

$16 an hour isn't all that bad. I haven't broken down what my shop costs me an hour to run after rent, 'lectric juice, phone, water and sewer, insurance, wear and tear on tools, tool maintainence time, dumpster, and the odd unexpected bill. When I was making a living I think I averaged just under $20/hr for 40 hrs/wk, and that was about 10 years ago.

Overhead is a beast.