New Tutorial

Brian

Waxing the pickups keeps the wires steady in the coils. It prevents that microphonic feedback (the high picthed unwanted kind) from being such a problem.

I had to dip a DiMarzio one time for this reason. It's quick to do, and the results are instant.

Because they are easier to eat with wax on B)

Purple crayon wax is the tastiest though... :D

:D

most of my guitars are ok when it comes to the microphonics and stuff, but my prs soapbars hum a little bit when im on either the bridge or the neck. i figured they do because they are a single coil, when it is on both they dont hum cause it cancels out, but if i dip them do you think it would take all the hum away? its not a bad,or loud hum, but i wouldnt mind trying the wax potting . it looks fun!

ps. anytime there is melting or burning involved,im into it! im a huge pyro!

:DB) but ive never blown up yet! :D

P-90's are among the noisiest things in the world due to its enormous coil. Dipping may reduce some of the hum, but won't take it all away. But I'm not sure if they already dipped, if that's a PRS... I've heard that early Gibson-made ones were not dipped only.