Stewman Neck Template And Warmoth Necks?

Actually not! :D:DB)

The original neck template that I ordered about 10 years ago is a PERFECT fit for almost any neck I throw at it, Warmoth included, except it's getting old now, and has developed a warp in the plexiglass (it humps up, or bows up, a little, in the middle...still usable, but a little difficult now)

Anyway, I ordered another one last year to take it's place, and come to find out, the pocket on the new one is wider/bigger than my old one, wide enough to make an appreciable difference, and I have not used it for a single guitar, the old one is a perfect fit, and I use Warmoth necks a lot too.

Call them up and see if they will cut you one to the old specs, those are purrrrrfect. :D

Anyway, I ordered another one last year to take it's place, and come to find out, the pocket on the new one is wider/bigger than my old one, wide enough to make an appreciable difference, and I have not used it for a single guitar, the old one is a perfect fit, and I use Warmoth necks a lot too.

How much bigger? Would using one of those brass collars on the router make up for the difference maybe or would that not work? I'm sure it would be hard to find one that made up the difference perfectly, as I know how precise the pocket must be, but if you did find one that would be an easy fix, that is if it would work, which I have no clue because the collar sticks down right? And the neck and pickups routes are shallow so the collar might prevent you from cutting shallow like that, I don't really know :D . But having a proper neck template would be nice, I might make one for myself, considering I'm making my own neck I can fit the neck heel according to the pocket, but even so a nice template would be safer and easier. Jason

Interesting. I would also like to know "how much bigger" the new template is. Since the template is made for a Strat neck, is the template too big, or are the Warmoth necks too small? I wonder if the change was made to add more room for finish buildup.

Oops. Never mind, I just saw your response...

Edited by ryanb

Well if you wanna buy the template and stemac wont make it to the old size, than wrap a piece of thin masking tape around the bearing to make the neck pocket a little thiner. It would make a small difference but probably enough to not rob you of the ammount of tone you're losing from having a lose neck pocket.

Well if you wanna buy the template and stemac wont make it to the old size, than wrap a piece of thin masking tape around the bearing to make the neck pocket a little thiner. It would make a small difference but probably enough to not rob you of the ammount of tone you're losing from having a lose neck pocket.

This is the recomendation that Stew Mac gives on their templates. I got mine done with masking tape and it worked perfectly! I did a small scrap test to make sure I would have a tight fit, and it took about 3 full wraps around the bearings to got me on the right spot for a Carvin neck, and 1 for a Jackson, so test on scrap for your Warmoth.

• 1 month later...

I just got the stewmac template...my concern was the length of the pocket on the template which 4.5" while the warmoth site says the neck pocket should be 3". Does this have something to do with the bearings on the router bit?

EDIT: I figured it out from looking at another thread.

Edited by bugman96

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Stewmac template and can tell you that it works much better for me to line the template with tape (4-6 layers of masking tape) then to wrap the bit. I find that the tape will not stay on the bearing and your are bound to make a mistake.

NOTE: Masking tape comes in a variety of thicknesses. Do not assume that one wrap for one person will work for you! Only trial and error will get you where you need to be, so break out the scrap wood.

Now if only Stewmac had made a STANDARD sized Fender jig, rather than being a little too cool for their own good, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

:D