Thorn Guitars

verhoevenc

OK, I'm just putting this out there as a service to anyone else up to this day that has never seen these guitars for one reason or another.

go see www.thornguitargallery.com

I just did for the first time and I honestly s$*t my pants!

The most most outrageously glamourous guitars I've ever seen, beauty and elegance unmatched!

These things are so outragiously elegant they balong in the Baroque era!

Chris

PS: After being on this site a long time I've found SO many great builders like Thorn and Myka and Draks... how come none are even mentioned on Ed Roman's "World's Best Guitars" site? Maybe that should tell him something about his choice in "the best guitars" which include his own POS's and not these guys'. That's right ED, take you down a notch.

yeah his stuff is awesome. I was using some of his Limba creations as inspiration for my limba tele project.. doing a black burst/high gloss over the limba grain.. some gorgeous stuff.

Thorn has a full CNC setup though.. not that it diminishes the impressiveness of his designs.. but those sun inlays, top contours, and such are much easier to do when you gots a couple hundred grand worth of equipment to cut it out for ya... :D

One of the things that really got me when going around his site, that I SURELY plan to do at some point, is how easy pulfering is (looks at least).

I guess I'm just dense, but until I read a build documentary on his site, I would have thought to pulfer, you'd route just like binding, and then BIND with abalon and hten bind AGAIN over that with a similar wood. But the way he does it... obviously makes my pre-conceptions VERY foolish! All you gotta do is use that stewmac dremel base with the edge thing! Genious!

Also, one of my main things I look at on guitars (semi-hollow and hollow atleast) is the sound hole. And he has some BEAUTIFUL leaf and shark, etc. shaped holes which I fell in love iwth!

Chris

I think pulfering is against the law. Ron's purfling is sure cool though! LOL

I agree, I really want to do purfling now.

Have you guys seen his inlayed freackin tops? Just amazing. He has a koa top inlaid into a limba body. That made me pass out the first three times I looked at it. Wow!!!

I think pulfering is against the law. Ron's purfling is sure cool though!  LOL

Have you guys seen his inlayed freackin tops? Just amazing. He has a koa top inlaid into a limba body. That made me pass out the first three times I looked at it. Wow!!!

I'm SLIGHTLY confused as to what this is... got a link to this particular masterpiece for further exploration?

Chris

I think pulfering is against the law. Ron's purfling is sure cool though!  LOL

I'm SLIGHTLY confused as to what this is... got a link to this particular masterpiece for further exploration?

Chris

ThornGallery

Look at Jo Lee's guitar. There are several others that know have inlaid tops as well.

Bill

That Navajo one for Jo Lee (already mentioned by Stalefish) is truly awesome, IMO. I wonder if Jo himself knows that "teh" is the "h4xXorz l337" way of writing "the", though, or if it's completely unintentional. :D

Back to guitars...

That Queen one is right cool, too! The only thing really Brian May about it that I can tell, though, is the pickups and the fact that it's a type of Double-Cutaway. Or is it just me? That has nothing whatsoever to do with the greatness of the guitar, though. :D

Greg

I dunno...the inlaid top idea is cool, might just use that on a project sometime. But I hate the turquoise purfling. It might look cool with a different color scheme, but not natural limba & koa. To me its like one of those PowerPoint presentations you see where they use a really bright neon font on a non-matching background. Almost painful to look at.

My favorite part of that guitar is the wooden bridge.

I love thorn's work. I have an interesting(and, to me, disappointing) fact though...or two. First, thorn didn't originate the inlaid top. Myka has told me that a few people started doing that in the 70's. Also, thorn thought he invented the wooden pickup covers. Honestly though, I like most of his color schemes. I think that indian themed guitar really works well...even the turqoise on it. :b

Edited by thegarehanman

I guess I'm just dense, but until I read a build documentary on his site, I would have thought to pulfer, you'd route just like binding, and then BIND with abalon and hten bind AGAIN over that with a similar wood. But the way he does it... obviously makes my pre-conceptions VERY foolish!  All you gotta do is use that stewmac dremel base with the edge thing! Genious!

Verhoevenc, do you have the link to this documentary? Is it on the forum or the main site?

thank you!