How Is Inlay Material Made?

Yeah i was just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to make Abalone sheets yourself... or something that is suitable for inlay... i have a pretty big abalone shell at home. Its probably not possible considering i most likely dont have the right tools... but if theres a way to do it, i would love to know... i wanted to make a sheet big enough for like a design too, not just dots... im thinkin at least 1" x 2"

Find a part of the shell that's large and flat enough to cut a 1"x2" sheet out of :D. If you're talking real abalone, that's what it is - just a piece of the interior of the shell cut out with no processing (other than removing the outside of the shell and maybe a minor bit of shaping).

If you're talking about something like "Abalam" you could probably do something, but I'm not the person to ask.

It's NOT worth the health risk, or the effort, or the wasting of materials to learn in the process. You also need to have a map, or pattern, to know where to grind and sand and cut to get out blanks that are useable. For $40.00 or less it's absolutelty NOT worth it.

Craig Lavin

www.handcraftinlay.com