Final Coat

bassampegman

When i apply the first coats of laquer to my painted headstock will the fine marks made by the 1500 grit wet and dry still show or should i polish the paint with 0000 wire wool and then apply the coats of laquer.

I dont want to take too much off the headstock paint as its a fine flat finish but the wet and dry marks are still there.

Im a bit unsure if the paint finish before the laquer should be showing no signs of 1500 cutting back or when the laquer goes on will they dissapear ??

It was very hard doing the paint as i had to mask off the edges to leave a fine edge not painted ( like a border ) and i had to rub it down slightly with 1500 grit to flatten the paint edges after taking off the masking tape.

Please help !!

Well my colour coat is good and i have used 1500 wet to get it smooth so i can spray the clear lacquer.

Is it possible to have the base colour too smooth prior to the clear coat im not sure if i did right doing the 1500 to the base colour but i wanted it smooth and i dint want to take too much colour off !!

So will i still be ok with the clear or does it need a scuffed base better ??

Well my colour coat is good and i have used 1500 wet to get it smooth so i can spray the clear lacquer.

Is it possible to have the base colour too smooth prior to the clear coat im not sure if i did right doing the 1500 to the base colour but i wanted it smooth and i dint want to take too much colour off !!

So will i still be ok with the clear or does it need a scuffed base better ??

You don't have to sand the color coat. You can just spray a few coats of clear over that and then sand it back flat. Just start clearing it. Sand inbetween each coats except for maybe the first 3 or 4.