What Do You Think Is The Best Combo

Ledzendrix1128

I recently odered a strat from warmoth. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best pickups i could get for this would be... I like to play blues... and i already bought a pickgaurd routed for two humbuckers. I was thinkin of going with the seymor duncan vintage blues set. Anyone know anything about these or have any other suggestions?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guit...ase_pid/300022/

^vintage blues seymor duncan set^

Thanks

- Louis

yea yea i know... but the whole thing im goin for is sort of a warm fat tone (hence the chambered mahogany). So i figured i would stick with humbuckers, i just love the theory behind the whole hum-cancelling thing... and they dont need to be sheilded as much

It depends on the coil split you want to do. Most traditional splits involve just grounding out the slug-side of the humbucker, others involve actually selecting which coil you want to hear, which can produce some pretty cool effects.

The Rio Grandes, Lace Duallys, and SD Stag Mag all are designed with coil-selection in mind. You can do some pretty cool switching in a two-humbucker setup such as: 1-Bridge Pickup non-split, 2-Outside Coil of Bridge, 3-Outside Coil of Both, 4-Inside Coil of Both, 5-Neck non-split.

damn... i know a minimal ammount when it comes to wiring pickups... i wired a pickguard for a standard strat, and ive wired my friends LP standard... but when it comes to all this splitting and stuff i know nothing... is there any good tutorials for noobs out there... the ones ive seen i cant follow very well... keep in mind ive never looked inside a pup..... maybe i should

Rio Grande Big Bottom humbucker set with a Megaswitch for coil-splits. You'll get good humbucker tone and excellent single-coil sounds, too.

Click this link http://www.warmoth.com/pickups/pickups.cfm...ps_g_rio_grande , then scroll down to the rio grande humbuckers section... theres 4 options the rio grande big bottom set... the rio grande (punch box and Crunch box) and then there like diamond plate.. and then one i think your talking about is the Tall boy and Muy Grande combo(right)... just wondering if this is what your talking about and if these are compatable with coil splitting

BTW... those texas barbeque sets sound cool... anyone heard of them?

and one final question... what do they mean by "4 conductor"

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

4 Conductor just means you have 4 wires (2 from each coil) coming out, and thus you are able to do coil splits, parallel/series, and other fun tricks with them. You can't do that with 2 conductor humbuckers.

You can do some pretty cool switching in a two-humbucker setup such as: 1-Bridge Pickup non-split, 2-Outside Coil of Bridge, 3-Outside Coil of Both, 4-Inside Coil of Both, 5-Neck non-split.

Wouldn't you want a selection for non-split both humbuckers?

theres 4 options the rio grande big bottom set... the rio grande (punch box and Crunch box) and then there like diamond plate.. and then one i think your talking about is the Tall boy and Muy Grande combo(right)... just wondering if this is what your talking about and if these are compatable with coil splitting

It's the Big Bottom Humbucker set with the Tall Boy and Muy Grande 'buckers. Each pickup is really two conventional single-coils with reversed polarity to achieve noise-free operation. The benefit is that if you split them and select or blend the coils individually, you'll get more of a single-coil sound. Split traditional humbuckers tend to sound muddy and weak due to their basic construction--these won't. They'll also have a great humbucking sound when used in humbucker mode, too.

The whole idea is to keep the Strat sound for your blues, but also be able to channel some Gibson for your rock!

Check out Rio Grande's website for soundclips.

final question... idk if this is in another thread... but what is the difference between parrallel and perpendicular coil splitting... if theres not a quick answer to this... someone can just link to another thread or offsite place... cuz everyone just assumes i know what parrallel and perpendicular circuitry means... lol... and i know nothing about general wiring schemes

Heheheheh.....ahum.

Parallel and Series are the terms you're looking for. This is electronics, not geometry ;-) This is in another thread, somewhere, as I've answered this question almost precisely in the recent past. I'm sure many, many others have explained this as well.

Simple version: each coil has a + and a - lead.

Parallel output: both + leads go to one output, both - leads go to ground. This is normal wiring for pretty much every 'wire two pickups together' schematic anywhere. If you wire the leads from a humbucker like this, you get a parallel output humbucker, which is kind of like a slightly louder/thicker single coil sound, less full than proper humbucking. Still bucks the hum, though.

Series output: The - from pickup 1 goes to ground, the + from pickup one goes into the - of pickup 2, the + from pickup 2 goes to the output. In other words, you've 'daisy chained' them up, put them in series. This is what standard humbuckers do with the two coils. Gives you that fatter, humbucker sound.

Coil taps are simply the output from one of the two coils use, and whether that output's wired to the other pickup in series (unlikely) or paralel (probable) depends on the wiring scheme. Half the time, you just ground one of the coils to get a tap.

If you want to do fancy wiring schemes, use google, hit the wiring FAQs/tutorials on the main site, read StewMac's info sheets, Seymour Duncan's website, or better yet, go buy a book. Even the most basic tome on guitar building should get you started. You don't need to be able to read wiring schematics to learn about basic wiring. Read StewMac's info sheets for a start, and start drawing yourself some pictures of what's going where and how.