Electric Guitar Neck Inserts

Yes. I like it because I can remove the neck as many times as I want without having to worry about the holes stripping out. Go for a smaller size that 1/4-20. It's what we had, so it's what I used. It's fine except that they don't quite fit in the stewmac neck ferrules. The neck ferrule holes are right at 1/4". It's hard to bore that hole out bigger if you don't have a clamp on your drill press.

Yes. I like it because I can remove the neck as many times as I want without having to worry about the holes stripping out. Go for a smaller size that 1/4-20. It's what we had, so it's what I used. It's fine except that they don't quite fit in the stewmac neck ferrules. The neck ferrule holes are right at 1/4". It's hard to bore that hole out bigger if you don't have a clamp on your drill press.

how long are the screws you used

could giv me like directions on how you did it. do u glue the inserts into the neck holes?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Try McFeeley.com for all of your high end fastening needs. It's who most of the furniture makers 'i know buy from. They are also a good source for square drive fasteners.

thanks thats exactly what i was looking for? what size screws should i get? i was thinking the 1/4-20 would work. Any suggestions?

do you glue these inserts in or just screw them in or both?

Adam

The inserts are designed to screw into the wood, that is what the external thread is for. They come in coarse thread (as shown in the picture) for soft woods and fine thread for putting into hardwoods. You have to be really careful putting them in though. (Forget trying to put the coarse thread ones into hardwood.) The hole must be drilled just the right size. Too small and the wood will split, too large and the threads will strip out. If the wood is really hard, it is basically impossible to get them to thread in ... they threads tend to just strip and tear the wood out when you are trying to get them started. It is also difficult to get them inserted really straight (harder than you would think). From my experience, I would stay away from those.

There are other kinds of inserts, such as variations on the Tee-nut theme that would probably work a lot better if you figure out a good way to install them.

BTW, a #10 would be a good size if you decide to try them.