Making A Temp/design

I have access to CAD and im pretty good using it (2 yrs of a highchool course). Is that the best way to design a guitar... i try sketching... but im so bad at getting the curves right its embarassing. Or is there any other method of making a template that you guys wanna share?

I have access to CAD and im pretty good using it (2 yrs of a highchool course).  Is that the best way to design a guitar... i try sketching... but im so bad at getting the curves right its embarassing.  Or is there any other method of making a template that you guys wanna share?

The spline tool is the way to go for curves. What I do when im trying to make a design is first draw a single coil pickup to scale. Then bring in a picture of the guitar type i want to start with. Size that picture until the pickup on the picture is the same size as the pickup you drew to scale. Then draw a spline curve around the outside of the body shape. Hopfully that gives you a basis for design. The rest is your imagination.

There are cad templates for various pickup routes on my web page.

there is a website on the project guitar links section that gives you some CAD files for known guitars

its a good reference cuz this way you'll already have the neck dimensions and pickups, and hardware to scale. just erase the body and work from there.

i do all of my designs in CAD and its the only way to go. everything is to perfect scale and corrections are easy as pie.

and just so you know, that website with the CAD designs, for some reason their scaling is wayyyyyy off. i mean their guitars are thousands of feet high so i had to scale them all down to realistic proportions. just thought i'd let you know.

good luck with the CAD designs, show me when you're done.

and just so you know, that website with the CAD designs, for some reason their scaling is wayyyyyy off. i mean their guitars are thousands of feet high so i had to scale them all down to realistic proportions. just thought i'd let you know.

They were probably drawn in mm while your system is set to inches (something like that)

Edited by onelastgoodbye

and just so you know, that website with the CAD designs, for some reason their scaling is wayyyyyy off. i mean their guitars are thousands of feet high so i had to scale them all down to realistic proportions.

:D

ROTFLMAO!!!

(Sorry for the completely useless post, but I have actually fallen from my chair when I read this.)

[Oh, and I had to think about that line "They got the f§$&ing metric system" in Pulp Fiction]