"gretsch" Versus "strat"

Jehle

If you were me, what would you rather build?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have about five different projects that I could work on. I've got it narrowed down to these two.

I've always wanted one of those big fat orange Gretsch guitars with the sproingy Bigsby and Filtertrons. I'm a fan of Chet Atkins, Duanne Eddy, Brian Setzer, and a few other people that you associate with that kind of guitar.

I've also wanted to get back into some whammy playing. Out of 11 guitars, I have only one with a standard trem (and even it's blocked so it won't move).

So, if you where me. What would you rather build and why?

Thanks for your help!

Strats are a dime a dozen and there's nothing sexy about "em at all.

Difficult to find a Gretsch worthy of the price these days. It's just a brand now.

Remember the Fatboy? Now that was a guitar...

But can I suggest something a little different -- the Duo Jet ...now THAT'S one of the hottest guitars ever designed. Okay, you can paint it orange if you really want... :D

Oh yes, the Fat Boy. I actually was going to put that in there instead of Gretsch. I still have lusty thoughts about that guitar. :D

marksound, I love the idea of a big J branded on there. That's a hoot! It also just has to be Orange. In my mind, that's the color that it has to be. Although... the Fat Boy was Red. Hmmmmmm.

I am surprised at the results of the poll so far. Keep the votes coming in. I use it to decide what to do by the end of the month.

THANKS!

Strats are a dime a dozen and there's nothing sexy about "em at all.

Difficult to find a Gretsch worthy of the price these days. It's just a brand now.

Remember the Fatboy? Now that was a guitar...

But can I suggest something a little different -- the Duo Jet ...now THAT'S one of the hottest guitars ever designed. Okay, you can paint it orange if you really want... :D

It's pretty obvious that the Gretsch is gonna win here. With that in mind, I've started looking around at what materials I plan to use, the construction method, what color, etc...

Based on what I've found out, a Cadillac Green Duo Jet looks like the guitar to have. According to what I've read, that's a rare combination. The only thing I really don't like about the Duo Jet is that it looks too skinny (13 1/4" wide). I may have to make it Fatter.

There was a brief moment where I considered an ES-355 with Bigsby, but they just look wrong to me. I think it's the double cutaway.

This is gonna rock!

I was wondering about the neck join. I presume that it's a set neck because it was designed to compete with the Les Paul.

I'd guess that the sound chambers are similar to other ones that I've seen. An empty upper part, an empty lower part, and a little open square bit just below the Bigsby.

I really need to find one for sale somewhere, or find someone that's got one, and take a lot of notes on it.

Anyone close to Gruhn Guitars? I'm about 2 hours South from there. :D

You've been Here?

I'm going to dig around a bit...

I'd always thought that the Duo Jet was just an LP clone and wondered why I preferred the Duo Jet....I took a couple of pics today and put them side by side...and figured it out -- the LP looks frumpy and squat next to the Duo Jet....

Shame, I had a Junior Jet (Synchromatic) for a little while....now I wish I'd had taken drawings at least!

definately a gretsch, strats are a classic, but have been overdone

I'm actually a bit surprised at the landslide victory of the Gretsch. I would have thought that a "Rawk" guitar would have won out. Much to my surprise, better than 80% are in favor of something different.

It's gonna be a Gretsch, and probably some flavor of Duo Jet. I am already starting to pick out parts online and to start drawing out plans for it... the hard way idch... pencil and paper.

The big question now is, how ugly should I make the headstock? :D