"gretsch" Versus "strat"

Jehle

If you were me, what would you rather build?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would DEFINATELY NOT build the Gretsch! Guitars are there for playing and in the best case enhancing your ability to play and inspire you to break out of the stuff you usually play. If you have no floyd-guitar I bet having one will inspire your playing way more than another guitar in the style you already have more than 10.

I would DEFINATELY NOT build the Gretsch! Guitars are there for playing and in the best case enhancing your ability to play and inspire you to break out of the stuff you usually play. If you have no floyd-guitar I bet having one will inspire your playing way more than another guitar in the style you already have more than 10.

I did have a Floyd for years. I wore that sucker out. It eventually got so bad I replaced it with the original bridge. I think the cheapest option to go back to the floyd is to just buy a new bridge for that old guitar. Back when the Floyd's first came out, I paid $350 for just for the trem. I was a huge Eddie fan and just "had to have it". Now that the Floyd Rose patent has done it job (has it really been 25 years?) just about anyone can make a decent locking trem.

I think I'm just going to get a new floyd and put it back in that old guitar. I changes the tone a lot, but that's what that guitar really should sound like. I'll get it set up like I had in the old days where I could pull up 3 1/2 steps! :D

The Gretsch is a totally different feel than the guitars I've been making. There's a "squaresville" factor to it that reminds me of my guitar teacher. It reminds me of rock guitar before there was any Hendrix. That's just as inspiring as anything else. It's retro. It's nerdy. It's uncool. :D

Don't worry though. I am going to build the Floyd guitar too. It'll be the Odd Boy's sister. Just as purdy. With whammy. B)

The Gretsch is a totally different feel than the guitars I've been making.  There's a "squaresville" factor to it that reminds me of my guitar teacher.  It reminds me of rock guitar before there was any Hendrix.  That's just as inspiring as anything else.  It's retro.  It's nerdy.  It's uncool.  :D

It's funny because I consider Gretsch guitars the ultimate in cool...not like those geeky pointy metal guitars you see all over the place here. Gretsch guitars have real attitude.

But if you really want to get extreme here, then have you looked at the Harmony Rocket ? I almost bought one once just because of the name!

12.md.rocket.jpg

It's funny because I consider Gretsch guitars the ultimate in cool...not like those geeky pointy metal guitars you see all over the place here. Gretsch guitars have real attitude.

I'll have to agree there. I can only take so many strat, tele and pointy guitar clones.....Gretsch reeks of good old rock and roll when the guy playing it knew how to play and didn't need 14 full stacks and 43 pedals to make a song.

• 1 month later...

I say the Grestch

I made a poll like this once, and one of those ******s shut it down because they thought it was stupid...

<MOD EDIT> And here's another one of those ****** types telling you to control the language, or you'll get more than your feelings hurt! Chill or be chilled!

Edited by lovekraft

Well, my poll was for several reasons. I don't recall yours, so I can't comment on if and why it was shut down.

However, having produced a CD on guitar construction, I was really interested in what other builders would really like to see. I was pretty surprised to see that the Gretsch was so popular on the forum because mostly I see hot rod guitars here. Semi-hollows and guitars of that ilk just are not as popular. Or, so I thought.

So my poll was really a secret ploy to see what would people like to see built and then I could run off and record it, comment on it, all that stuff. Eventually all of that work will go into another CD project. If only I can find the time to do it all. :D

January is the start of more guitar builds for me, and that recording work. I've got two guitars in the works at the moment. And, one of those is my first consignment build. Actually getting paid to make a guitar for someone with "the works" as they describe it has been a real blast and a real challenge.

Eventually all of that work will go into another CD project.  If only I can find the time to do it all.  :D

Bundle it with "Control Freak"... give me an excuse to buy it!

The new CD / DVD is a bundled concept, or a box set, already. Control Freak will remain a separate CD though. :D

• 1 month later...