Design Technology Coursework

rokeros

Hi... First Time Actually using the Forum...I have been reading topic and topic for months and I finally think that I need to get involved. So anyways.. I am a newbie seeking for help and I currently live all the way In HONG KONG!..... :D rock on... b

but anways yeah.. I am 15 doing an electric guitar for my d&T Coursework and hoped you guys could help...

well..so far i have a neck from becalvert..

stuff from lmii.com &

stuff from stew mac

and pups in my local music store...

I am wanting to build a custom guitar but dont want it to be too radical, just nice. Thought that some of you experts could lend a hand. I am going to make my pickup rings myself and cavity covers using aluminium and would fancy somthings to do with leds on the body and not the neck...

I am in my early stages of luthering so hopefully sum of u pros r gonna think 4 me!!!

:D Hope u have gd suggestions!!

Edited by rokeros

First thing that you need to do mate is to work out the scale of that neck you have. Theres no point having a 25" scale neck and a 23" scale guitar.

I'd also say that you should get hold of a copy of the book "Build an electric guitar" by Melvin Hiscock. Some people reccomend other books, but this is the one that I used and found it easy to deal with.

Read through the tutorials on this site.

Good luck dude.

Thanks Monkey, some good advice. I actually have that book so the proccesses and stuff is not a problem. The dilemma I am facing right now is that the design doesn'y seem to be going anywhere. I like stuff such as the implaer, but want sumthing like a tele.

You understand? Them two dont go so i am just stuck on my table just trying to get a good idea.

If I can get pictures on I can show the stuff I am to work with and hopefully the body shape and headstock we can work on from that.

Peace!

(PS. My project is gonna be in a 25 1/2" scale)

So what is it you want exactly???

The dilemma I am facing right now is that the design doesn'y seem to be going anywhere. I like stuff such as the implaer, but want sumthing like a tele.

You understand? Them two dont go so i am just stuck on my table just trying to get a good idea.

You want help building, or help designing????

If the latter....throw some ideas on paper.......get your digital camera out, sign-up for Photobucket and post some pics in your next thread. People here will comment on things that work, and areas/ideas that don't. In the end, you're building your own guitar...so you're the captain on this ship.

Hong Kong, hey? Love that Tommy Lee music/guitar store......must have spend hours in there in between flights to/from Asia/Europe.

I finally managed to set up photobucket. :D

I put on some of my materials as a test . Check it out:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a120/rokeros/Parts/

I also have the lmii blue and black water soluble dye. What proportion of dyes and water do I need to get this sort of finish?

IMG_1254.jpg

BTW (What do you guys think back similar to this but in black and not dark green? Would it contrast with the dye colour?

sg1.jpg

:D

Edited by rokeros

Why dont you draw up the body your thinking of, then it will make it easyer for us to help with your design.

Also, when i came up with my design, i printed of a full scale pic of an SG and drew alterations around it till it looked like i wanted it to, then i cut it out stuck it on mdf. Why not try and splice a PRS with a Parker, and see is you truly like the aesthetics of it.

On a side note i made my guitar in Craft and Design for my final project, got a credit grade :D

• 4 weeks later...