Need Help With A Special Wiring Scheme

sixthview

I have a JB and 2 Dimarzio Fast Track (181 nck & 182 mid). What I would like to do is wire them all in a new guitar with a 5 way switch. It would have one Vol and 2 tones like a strat.

My other option would be to place the JB in the brg with the 181 in the neck controled by a Tele style 3 way switch. Controlled by 1 Vol and 1 Tone. Then an on/off toggle and Volume to control the 182 in the Mid.

Any thoughts on which would work better? Any thoughts on hooking up the first option? Thanks guys. :D

Hmm.. Not 100% sure what you're looking for but wiring up the 3 pickups with a 5-way switch would be exactly the same as wiring a normal Strat with 3 single coils just that you'd want to solder the black and white leads for the DiMarzio and the red and white leads for the Seymour Duncan together.. That is, assuming you want all 3 pickups series humbucking.. You should be able to find the Strat wiring off the Fender site.. Oh, and treat the red for the DiMarzio and the black for the Seymour Duncan as the hot leads and the green for the DiMarzio and the Seymour Duncan as the ground leads.. Also, don't forget to solder the bare wires to ground too.. Hope that helps..

I have a JB and 2 Dimarzio Fast Track (181 nck & 182 mid).  What I would like to do is wire them all in a new guitar with a 5 way switch.  It would have one Vol and 2 tones like a strat.

My other option would be to place the JB in the brg with the 181 in the neck controled by a Tele style 3 way switch.  Controlled by 1 Vol and 1 Tone.  Then an on/off toggle and Volume to control the 182 in the Mid.

Any thoughts on which would work better?  Any thoughts on hooking up the first option?  Thanks guys. :D

Can't tell you which one would be better... both are different. You give up neck/bridge and all combos with the first, and you give up the middle alone with the second.

Here is yet another alternative, although it's shown on a tele. It's close to your second option, but the switch controls if the bridge pup mixes with the neck pup or not. Get all possible 7 combos this way with the same hardware.

Here is the control function chart:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf...0105500CPg4.pdf

and the wiring page:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf...0105500CPg2.pdf

Happy wiring!!

Here is yet another alternative, although it's shown on a tele.  It's close to your second option, but the switch controls if the bridge pup mixes with the neck pup or not.  Get all possible 7 combos this way with the same hardware.

Happy wiring!!

Love that idea!!! Plus, I wouldn't have to mod the pickguard at all, I would just put the a/b selector in the lower tone control and I would be off flying! Thanks a buch! :D

Generally 500k with humbuckers, there are many sites (including this) that details this further.

I have a copy Les Paul that a previous owner hacked a hole for a third pickup. He had the middle pup wired with the neck (no separation). I rewired the guitar to have only one tone, three volumes and the original three way switch. The 3-way works like it always has and the third volume controls the middle pickup. This way is not the most convienient for fast switching, but has almost unlimited sound potential when mixing pup combinations. You also wouldn't need the other toggle switch.