Need Help Wiring P90's Please

Arseneau

I'm currently deeply involved in my first build and I've come across a question that I have not found addressed using the search tool (if this exact topic has been addressed then I sincerely apologize...I have been reading this forum daily for months and this is the first time I've had to make a post due to not fininding an answer).

I picked up two GFS Dream 90 pups (one bridge, one neck) for my project and I am planning to have only one tone control, one volume control and a three-way switch. I purchased 500k pots since I read in Melvyn Hiscock's book that 500k pots are to be used with humbuckers while 250k pots should be used with single coils (I realize that I am over-simplifying but I am essentially in the dark electronically so please bear with me/correct me). However, I realized later that I only assumed that P90s would be considered humbuckers due to the fact that they fill the same rout as a humbucker (ie: are the same size), yet they only contain one visible coil.

So my question is this: are P90's humbuckers or single coils in regards to pots? Will I get a better tone if I save the 500k's for another project and get a couple of 250k's? Also, what size capacitor should I use? And, lastly, would it be better to have two seperate tone controls for the two pups, or does it matter?

Sorry this is so long but I figured it was better to get it all out at once than to have three or four short posts taking up space.

Thanks in advance.

I have a set of those Dream 90s too...I mounted them in a guitar that I assume has 500k pots (because I was replacing humbuckers--the guitar's a semi-hollowbody, so I didn't feel like taking the pots out to check) --those pickups are hot! I don't know if it's because of the pots or because of the pickups themselves, or maybe the combination of the two, but be prepared for some power...(I've since replaced them with Filtertrons though...)

You can think of a P-90 as a big fat looking and sounding single coil. It has way more output and sounds fatter and darker. A 500K pot will auccually help things because P-90s are generally about the same brightness of a humbucker.

Cap value isint really crucial... Just throw a .47 in there.

I just use whatevers around and it turns out fine every time...

Edited by Godin SD

a .47uf.. man what are you trying to do choke his tone lol. nah a .47uf will work fine but for guitar there is no need to get something that large.. i mean depending on how large you go you will actually get a second volume control which will also roll off tone. this will be quite extreme. i for one like the sound. i have use a 1uf that rolls off more vol than tone. but takes a great metal sound into a greater blues sound.

if you want an actual tone control that doesn't kill all your volume. i wouldnt recomend going any higher than a .1uf and thats still extreme.

i dont 'know if you know the math but heres a simple online freq calc

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

the roll off is at .7hz which will basically mean you get a 6db per octave vol drop.

a .47uf..  man what are you trying to do choke his tone lol.  nah a .47uf will work fine but for guitar there is no need to get something that large..  i mean depending on how large you go you will actually get a second volume control which will also roll off tone.  this will be quite extreme.  i for one like the sound.  i have use a 1uf that rolls off more vol than tone. but takes a great metal sound into a greater blues sound.

if you want an actual tone control that doesn't kill all your volume. i wouldnt recomend going any higher than a .1uf and thats still extreme.

i dont 'know if you know the math but heres a simple online freq calc

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

the roll off is at .7hz which will basically mean you get a 6db per octave vol drop.

You can always rely on some one to know the math! Or aleast link to it. :D

Perhaps .047 or 4n7 is what was meant? Thats my ballpark, sometimes higher sometimes lower.

ahhhh

Yes I ment .047. :D Thats prety much standard for most guitars...

I think the last guitar I did I put in a .020 from stew mac. It doesnt really but out all that much treble but it's fine for me.

Holy crap a .47 would like take out like ALL your treble.

Edited by Godin SD