Tremolo Mod

Mickguard

Speaking of cool onboard mods...

I was watching Pete Townsend monkey with his switch...and I thought, hey wouldn't it be cool to mount a separate 'tremolo switch'?

A little on-off mini switch would do it (I love the look of miniswitches)...it'd basically act as a kill switch --turning on and off the pickups as fast as you want to switch it.

To get fancy, I'd wire only one pickup to the switch (the neck pickups, since I usually play on the bridge)---that way the tremolo switch will only flutter that pickup--while the bridge pickups sounds normal...

Or even fancier still, a secondary selector switch that controls which pickup or pickups get tremolo'd

Best part --no batteries!

Interesteing Idea but I dont think it would work too well.

I have individual mini switches for each pickup on one of my guitars and I just tried it and I really couldnt notice a difference when switching one pickup on and off.

If I switch the phase over on the neck pickup it works a little better cause it cuts out some of the frequencies when both pickups are engaged.

It doesnt at all sound like a a tremelo pedal.

However the same guitar does have a master kill switch and you can do some "tremeloish" sounding stuff with that. Tom Morello style for instance..

Mark

Interesteing Idea but I dont think it would work too well.

I have individual mini switches for each pickup on one of my guitars and I just tried it and I really couldnt notice a difference when switching one pickup on and off.

Hmm...suppose the neck pickup can be filtered to be very bassy --you'd think you'd be able to add some throb under the bridge sound?

Anyway, just another one of the flood of ideas I get at 2 in the morning...

well if you wanted a very cheap tremolo that you didnt'have to do manually.

555 timer

led/ldr

1cap

2resistor

1 pot.

• 2 months later...
Speaking of cool onboard mods...

I was watching Pete Townsend monkey with his switch...and I thought, hey wouldn't it be cool to mount a separate 'tremolo switch'?

A little on-off mini switch would do it (I love the look of miniswitches)...it'd basically act as a kill switch --turning on and off the pickups as fast as you want to switch it.

To get fancy, I'd wire only one pickup to the switch (the neck pickups, since I usually play on the bridge)---that way the tremolo switch will only flutter that pickup--while the bridge pickups sounds normal...

Or even fancier still, a secondary selector switch that controls which pickup or pickups get tremolo'd

Best part --no batteries!

I was thinking about doing something like this, but with a momentary button. The idea would be to get the Tom Morello type effect, but the button seems like it might be a little easier to manage and if placed in the right spot could look pretty sharp. Any input?

Thanks

Joe

Put this in your guitar!

http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/EA-TremoloPCB.pdf

You could use a DPDT toggle switch to bypass it. :D

EDIT: You could build it smaller of a piece of perfboard to make it more guitar friendly.

Edited by Paul Marossy