How Does This Sound For An Explorer?

Matt

Ive just been to a saw mills with my Dad, and have managed to pickup nearly 3/4 tonne of oak and cedar for £15, we could have got a whole pallet (about 2.5 tonnes!!) for £30!!

anyway my brother wants me to make him an axe similar to Hetfield's, soo

Im thinking an European Oak body, chambered with cedar on top.

Does this sound like a good plan or not?

also Im thinking of an Oak neck as well but im not so sure. I know guitars are inherently expensive, but I want to make this as cheap as possible.

Thanks

Matt

Ive just been to a saw mills with my Dad, and have managed to pickup nearly 3/4 tonne of oak and cedar for £15, we could have got a whole pallet (about 2.5 tonnes!!) for £30!!

anyway my brother wants me to make him an axe similar to Hetfield's,  soo

Im thinking an European Oak body, chambered with cedar on top.

Does this sound like a good plan or not?

also Im thinking of an Oak neck as well but im not so sure.  I know guitars are inherently expensive, but I want to make this as cheap as possible.

Thanks

Matt

From what I have read, oak might be too heavy for the neck. If you want a hetfield explorer, you should be lookin at a mahogany body and neck with emg's.

Oh yea I know what he uses, I'm not trying to replicate it exactly, really its just got to be a good rythme all-round guitar, I was just interested in the use of Oak as its different and I have an abundance of it, thanks anyway.

matt

Hi Matt

There is a guy on ebay who sells mahogany boards for about £10, i've bought a couple from him (he's in the UK) and its turned out to be really nice wood. You can get atleast 2-3 necks out of one plank, and probably a body also, this could be a cheaper way for you to get some wood that is perhaps a little less heavy than the oak.

You can find the wood he sells in the 'crafts: woodworking' category.

Well I have found some sepele (sp?) that is very similar to mahogany in the pile that we brought back which would be big enough for a couple of neck-thru blanks, so I might as well use that and then use the oak for body wings, which I shall chamber.

Still though, what is oak and/or cedar meant to sound like in body and/or as a neck?

thanks

Matt

Well I have found some sepele (sp?) that is very similar to mahogany in the pile that we brought back which would be big enough for a couple of neck-thru blanks, so I might as well use that and then use the oak for body wings, which I shall chamber.

Still though, what is oak and/or cedar meant to sound like in body and/or as a neck?

thanks

Matt

Oak's not got a great rep as a tonewood. Rarely if ever see it used. When you say 'cedar' what 'cedar' do you mean, exactly? Westerd Red? If so, that's some really, really soft, dentable wood.

Sapele is an african 'mahogany', and makes a great neck.