Possiabilitys With A 3 Way And 1 Pickup

Daniel Sorbera

Ansil... by any chance do you work in IT?

Thanks for the link lovekraft.  But the more I think about it the more I really want a rotary switch in there.

Also the problem is I already have a 1/2" hole in there and that litttle mini switch wouldn't cover up the dowell if I filled and re-drilled.  But a knob from a rotary switch would cover it up.

If you decide not to go with the rotary switch, you could always use this one for SG's. It should do what you originally asked for in your first post and still fills up the hole. It requires 13/16" depth thought.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Ok my orange haired friend, the jameco rotary switch protrudes exactly 3/4" below the inside of the mounting surface. That includes the electrical contacts. I assume this is good news?

peace,

russ

I don't think it sticks out any more than 3/4" from the inside of the top.

did I call it or what.

Edited by thegarehanman

I can't tell you with any amount of certainty if it will or won't. It will deffinitely make a difference with two P90's(like in my next project). Would it really hurt that much to be able to select which coil you wanted to tap? All of the wiring is at the switch. Whether you want both or only one coild tap, you're going to have to run all four wires from the humbucker to the switch, so why not?

You have probably got too much info by now, but here is what I would do, with a 3P4T rotary, to get series, parallel, single coil and series out of phase. This would be like a powerful tone control, ranging from deepest series humbucker, to ultra-bright out of phase.

The series out of phase is not common, but I quite like it and it is a useful texture for strumming. Unlike in-phase settings, it is not hum canceling though.

The switch is one of the standard types of rotary, from any electronics store.

http://people.smartchat.net.au/~l_jhewitt/...uits/1H4way.gif

cheers

John

You have probably got too much info by now, but here is what I would do, with a 3P4T rotary, to get series, parallel, single coil and series out of phase.  This would be like a powerful tone control, ranging from deepest series humbucker, to ultra-bright out of phase. 

The series out of phase is not common, but I quite like it and it is a useful texture for strumming.  Unlike in-phase settings, it is not hum canceling though.

The switch is one of the standard types of rotary, from any electronics store.

http://people.smartchat.net.au/~l_jhewitt/...uits/1H4way.gif

cheers

John

Very interesting.

I think I might go with that. I had an in series out of phase option on my guitar with p-90s and I think it's a very usuable sound.

Probably not an audible difference ( although Eric Johnson could most likely hear it!). laugh.gif

:D:DB):D

PS. lovekraft check out my sig B)

Edited by Godin SD

Good luck with that. If it turns out that the out-of phase is too thin for your taste, a resistor from the lowest switch lug (as shown on the diagram) to ground will partly bypass one coil, meaning they will cancell out less of the fundamental, giving a bit more weight to this setting. Other settings wont be affected. Its easy to add this after trying it.

John

Ooh, good idea, John - I need to write that down! Maybe even a trimpot, so you could dial in the amount of cancellation - that's nearly as simple and useful as Frank Falbo's ultra-elegant treble bleed/ tone control setup, very nice! Why don't I ever have those "gotcha!" ideas? :D

Oh, I remember - brain damage, from growing up in the 70s (without a helmet)! :D

Ha! Remember, it took me 15 years to have that "gotcha" idea. It was like the "flux capacitor" :D I just put that mod into an RG550DY here this morning.

As for hearing the difference between the bridge and neck coils of a humbucker, it's totally audible. Especially when you're in the bridge position. I'd say definitely have that as an option. If you're using a healthy output humbucker, the coil toward the bridge will be really icy and vintage stratty, while the one toward the neck will be fatter and more robust like a hot tele. I just got a bunch of DPDT on/off/on switches for one of my other mods. (not as cool as the flux capacitor, but still cool :D ) It's my coil cut switch. The middle is humbucker mode, and the outside positions select the neck or bridge coil. I have it in several guitars and I won't go back to a simple "single/hum" coil cut again.

Another way to TOTALLY hear the difference between coils is to get something like the Dimarzio Megadrive. Drop Sonic, or Steve's Special. They have vastly different sounding coils. So in addition to the minor change in position, there's a major change in output and tone of the coil wind itself.

You make an excellent point, Frank - the difference between coils would be a lot more obvious on a much hotter pickup, especially (as you mentioned) if the coils were deliberately mismatched like those DiMarzios - I stand corrected. I guess I still tend to think PAF when somebody talks humbucker - maybe I'm getting old! :D