Koa Wood Suppliers

rokeros

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can purchase decent koa wood that is best bookmatched which is at a decent value but not ebay? I also live in Hong Kong so are there any suppliers that are nearby? I hear they are from Hawaii only and tends to be quite expensive.

The reason i want nice koa is because for my second project, I may cosider replicating a suhr Reb Beach Model guitar because it is a beauty, however, I am a low budget 15 year old who cannot afford to buy a guitar retailed a USD$5,000 at least!!!! My budget is probrably $500 instead.

This is the guitar I wish to replicate. I may change the headstock but nothing else. Maybe the pickups cos they are not cheap either.

suhr_full.jpg

Ain't it just a wonder!

Ash ...HK:player

$500 for parts alone? Tough call. I'm assuming you've got all the tools you need already, yeah?

Breakdown as I see it:

Decent Floyd: $150

Tuning machines: $30

Assorted hardware/electronics: $30

Alder/Ash body: $50

Neck materials (maple/ebony+rods): $40

Pickups: $120 (depending)

Finish, disposables (sandpaper, etc): $20

That's a fairly low-end estimate for most of those parts (the hardware in gold will cost more, probably), and I'm assuming you have all the tools necessary for making your own neck, including slotting your own fingerboard, and none of those numbers include shipping or additional duties. So, right there, you'd have about 60 bucks left for the koa, not much else.

Remember Koa is a premium wood, and if you want premium figure, you'll have to pay for it. It's all Hawaiian, so Hawaii is a good place to go for it. Check out Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars and Ukeleles, see what he's got. Alternately, Steve Roberson at Colonial has a ton of the stuff for acoustic sets, might have something suitable for a drop top, and I think Bob Cefalu (google rctonewoods) has some Koa in stock, and his prices are very fair, and the service great. Shipping will hurt you, though, no two ways around that.

Also, what's wrong with eBay?

The reason i want nice koa is because for my second project, I may cosider replicating a suhr Reb Beach Model guitar because it is a beauty, however, I am a low budget 15 year old who cannot afford to buy a guitar retailed a USD$5,000 at least!!!! My budget is probably $500 instead.

For nice piece of Koa you could easily spend $500 alone. There aren't many Koa trees left in Hawaii......and the ones that are still standing are protected.

Warmoth sells Koa topped guitar bodies........this is route you might take.

In Australia they have a Koa alternative available....for got the name of it.....you might wanna check that out.

But considering your budget.....still would be a tight fit.

You simply can't drive a Ferrari for Lada prices.

Edited by RGGR

In Australia they have a Koa alternative available....for got the name of it.....you might wanna check that out.

Any chance you could try and remember what that was dude? I know we have Blackwood Acacia as to Acacia Koa, but is there actually some variety of Koa thats here in Australia?

- Dan

Decent Floyd: $150

Tuning machines: $30

Assorted hardware/electronics: $30

Alder/Ash body: $50

Neck materials (maple/ebony+rods): $40

Pickups: $120 (depending)

Finish, disposables (sandpaper, etc): $20

That's a fairly low-end estimate for most of those parts (the hardware in gold will cost more, probably), and I'm assuming you have all the tools necessary for making your own neck, including slotting your own fingerboard, and none of those numbers include shipping or additional duties. So, right there, you'd have about 60 bucks left for the koa, not much else.

Remember Koa is a premium wood, and if you want premium figure, you'll have to pay for it. It's all Hawaiian, so Hawaii is a good place to go for it. Check out Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars and Ukeleles, see what he's got. Alternately, Steve Roberson at Colonial has a ton of the stuff for acoustic sets, might have something suitable for a drop top, and I think Bob Cefalu (google rctonewoods) has some Koa in stock, and his prices are very fair, and the service great. Shipping will hurt you, though, no two ways around that.

Also, what's wrong with eBay?

Thanks for your help guys. Mattia. THanks for all the info and I know it will be tough but here would be a further breakdown. $500 would be my budget right? However, my parents would pay for shipping. Look:

Gold Floyd Rose: (GuitarFetish.com) 69.95

Tuning machines: $21.95

Assorted hardware/electronics: $10 for Electronics and wiring etc. (Hong Kong is the cheapest place around cos everything is made in china and I live in it HEHE :D .

Pickups: 2 Hum : 80-100 at me locals

Alder/Ash body: ??? (suhr uses a whole koa body, not just a laminate)

Neck materials (Koa/Pau Ferro): $40 <---- brobrably more than that i am getting from warmoths showcase...its cheaper

Finish, disposables (sandpaper, etc): $barely nothing ($0.05?)casue HK is pratically giving away 3M stuff cos it is sooo cheap here...I also have 3/4 quart of KTM-9 left.

SO anyways some may have gone more expensive and some not, but overall i may be able to cover it..

Ash HK :D

Actually, I've seen some Mesquite (another acacia variety) that looks not unlike Koa... it's hard to get big pieces of it, but I've seen some pieces with flame that looks a lot like that, just redder.

I've got a place out west of San Antonio and I've been meaning to cut a tree down there and make a guitar out of it for a while.

Is it Australian Blackwood? I did a little reseach.

Also, if you look at the previous pic I posted, does it look like a soloist or strat style body?

Edited by rokeros

Also, if you look at the previous pic I posted, does it look like a soloist or strat style body?

It is Australian Blackwood. It isn't cheap at all, although it is more available. A bookmatched set of Koa (in the 1-3/4" thickness range) large enough for a body, and having figure that good would be a bargain @$300 more likely to be in the $500 price range( remember that same wood could be made into premium veneer or thin top/ or acoustic sets that are very valuable, plus thick pieces tend to cost more than thin). The Australian Blackwood equivilant is probably in 20% less. Both woods are hard to come by and people are very willing to pay these premium prices. So good luck to you. I would be very happy for you if you happened across a piece that nice.

Peace,Rich

Wait...solid figured Koa body? That'll cost a whole big load 'o' cash.

As for Koa, yes, logging is restricted, but at least it's a fairly fast-growing tree so hopefully it'll repopulate at some point within our lifetime. Thing is, I don't buy into the 'holy grail of tone' thing with Koa. It's pretty, but not that pretty, and nothing I've seen convinces me it's fantastic sounding enough to warrant the cost. Cap it, and be done with it.

Australian Blackwood is similar looking, but often comes in very different shafes and colours. I've got some Koa headplates and binding, and they're quite different looking than the Australian (or Tasmanian, same thing) Blackwood.

Any chance you could try and remember what that was dude? I know we have Blackwood Acacia as to Acacia Koa, but is there actually some variety of Koa thats here in Australia?

Yeap, that's what it is.......Some time ago I also did little research on Koa. Both are of same Acacia family, they just grow in different parts of the world. (Acacia Koa vs. Acacia Melanoxylon)

I don't care so much for it's looks....but I had picked-up Koa was considered one of the premium tonewoods. Trouble with Koa - as we all know - that it's protected wood and supplies are running out. The current Koa trees are protected and getting new supply is difficult. (at least that's what I read - no local Hawaiian here!)

It is Australian Blackwood. It isn't cheap at all, although it is more available. A bookmatched set of Koa (in the 1-3/4" thickness range) large enough for a body, and having figure that good would be a bargain @$300 more likely to be in the $500 price range( remember that same wood could be made into premium veneer or thin top/ or acoustic sets that are very valuable, plus thick pieces tend to cost more than thin). The Australian Blackwood equivilant is probably in 20% less. Both woods are hard to come by and people are very willing to pay these premium prices. So good luck to you. I would be very happy for you if you happened across a piece that nice.

That dog don't hunt. These are your 15 year old's pipe dreams.

THanks for all the info and I know it will be tough but here would be a further breakdown. $500 would be my budget right? However, my parents would pay for shipping. Look:

Gold Floyd Rose: (GuitarFetish.com) 69.95

Tuning machines: $21.95

Assorted hardware/electronics: $10 for Electronics and wiring etc. (Hong Kong is the cheapest place around cos everything is made in china and I live in it HEHE lol.gif .

Pickups: 2 Hum : 80-100 at me locals

Neck materials (Koa/Pau Ferro): $40 <---- probably more than that i am getting from warmoths showcase...its cheaper

Finish, disposables (sandpaper, etc): $barely nothing ($0.05?)casue HK is pratically giving away 3M stuff cos it is sooo cheap here...I also have 3/4 quart of KTM-9 left.

So anyways some may have gone more expensive and some not, but overall i may be able to cover it..

I still don't see the point of going for the top of the line (very expensive) tonewood......and finish the guitar off with cheap Chinese hardware. It's like having a $10.000 audio set with $50 speakers. B)

If you want a great looking AND playing guitar......you need to concentrate on both ends of the spectrum.....meaning buy the best tonewoods, hardware, and pick-ups your money can buy. Not just concentrate on one of these.

But if you want cheap Koa...you can always grow your own. :D:D

Edited by RGGR

Gee Guys Thx for all the info. I seariously didn't know the tonal qualities and history Koa and even though in the end is now probrably going down the drain, I actually learnt alot through this topic.

Maybe I should change the wood, coming to think of it, getting a Mahogany back and Koa top hollow strat body from warmoth would be cheaper than just getting the woods. I guess this project will either not be done, or a non-luthiery project. haha

Cheers

That darn Logo.gif again.

I must have spend hours in that store in between flights to and from Asia. ;-)

They have awesome selection, but most guitars in store have dings and nicks from customer handling.

And 510,00 HK$ is not a bad deal for a SD '59.

Haha All you fools! You guys thought i got it for $510 which is already cheap. 1 things to learn about is RggR is that even its cheap, when you get to know the tom lee staff, then you get a further discount. erm, I got mine for HKD$343 instead. haha!!! :D

Cheers! Brain Calvert's shipping is exel.>>Highly recommended and nice figures on veneer.

tazzy blackwood as an alternative to koa? nah i dont think so. in the peice i got in a neck next to me similar colour, and small flaming goin on, but sounds nothing like it, harsher tone, IMO of course, i could be and am prbably wrong with this 1 but meh

luke

:D:D

Haha All you fools! You guys thought i got it for $510 which is already cheap. 1 things to learn about is RggR is that even its cheap, when you get to know the tom lee staff, then you get a further discount. erm, I got mine for HKD$343 instead. haha!!! lol.gif

Grow-up will ya. You come on this board asking questions about a Koa guitar, in process showing your ignorance in subject matter incl. wanting to finish off guitar with cheap Chinese hardware...

Then when people on this board correct your inmature thinking in the matter and try to educate you a little......you quickly change your mind, buy new wood and hardware - so much for standing your ground and really wanting a Koa type guitar - then you're trying to show off your haggling skills in buying pups from dear 'ld Tommy. :D

We all know that you can haggle on prices in HK. Go buy digital camera on Nathan road.......only fool would pay full ticket price. Half price would be closer to a good deal. Same goes for items from Tommy. In Asia all prices are negotiable. You should know that.

And seriously, I don't give a rats *ss what you paid for your stuff. It's your money not mine. The only fool in matter would be you........Cause what do you think my (or others) response would be if you ask future questions on this board with this type of attitude.

If you wanna be smart.....build great guitar and show that off. That will earn you respect, not HKD$343 pup.

Just my $0.02. (US$ that is!!)