First Finishing Project

Bicola

I've just purchased an old Epiphone semi acoustic and the previous owner stripped it back to wood by pain staking sanding and then applied a furniture lacquer to seal. An OK job was done but I intend to tidy up the job and perhaps repaint aswell - a slightly daunting yet exciting prospect.

I've found a lot of useful tutorials about (namely this forum) though I would appreciate guidance about minor queries.

With regards to stripping, would it be OK to remove the layers of laquer by sanding?

Also more importantly I was wondering if anyone one knows of a good UK based source for tools and materials required for stripping and repainting. The majority of the links provided on Project Guitar are US based and there are issues with shipping (aersols specifically).

Hope you can help an aspiring newbie out.

I suggest you go to your local wood merchant (timber dealer etc) - you'll find them in your yellow pages.

They usually carry a good stock of finishes too. Mine (accross theroad - Literally!) carry most of what i need but I can't get any decent clear coats off them - only varnishes.

As for removing the finish - sanding (carefully) or maybe paint stripper would be my choices but thn again, I'm relatively new to this myself so i may be wrong on those two. :D

I suggest you go to your local wood merchant (timber dealer etc) - you'll find them in your yellow pages.

They usually carry a good stock of finishes too. Mine (accross theroad - Literally!) carry most of what i need but I can't get any decent clear coats off them - only varnishes.

As for removing the finish - sanding (carefully) or maybe paint stripper would be my choices but thn again, I'm relatively new to this myself so i may be wrong on those two. :D

I get my finishing products from http://www.fromthewood.co.uk/ Abigail is really helpful and they do mail-order. Send her an email and I'm sure she will sort you out a catalogue