Beginner

They are glued so customers don't have to do that themselves. These type of products are simply not catered to people wanting to build Neck-Throughs.

You should look for other supplier...lmii.com, et al - or other local suppliers. Take yellow pages and have look at wood suppliers section.

Good luck.

Look locally first. RGGR is right on track. If you can't find it locally. Look at the topics on wood suppliers. You will find MANY good dealers.

P.S. If I didn't mention this enough. Go find a good local wood supplier. You will do better if you can hand select your material, and cutting shipping charges will save you a ton. If you want a little help finding local suppliers. Let us know where you are at and maybe some other members can point you in the right direction.

Peace,Rich

Thanks RGGR, fryovanni, and idch. I will want to make it all by myself, so i'll buy the wood and not the sets. Also i live in India and not many people here build guitars, there are only a few, and i have no experience and very little eknowledge concerning building and wood selection. I'm sure there are a ton of woods out here and all the tools are available and i can order reading material and videos adn experiment a bit.

Right now i have a guitar which is dismantled and the body has been sanded. I had this fender squire stagemaster series guitar and i rented a palm sander for a day and with the help of the tutorial i sanded the body but for the sides i had to mix some paint remover and paint thinner and then scrape of the paint. Now i am interested in gaining some experience with this guitar and right now i wanna contour the heel into an aanj-ish idea with a deep contoured horn or a contour from the heel into the body and all the way to the horn.

If you visit rusty cooleys website www.rsutycooley.com, and go to his equipment page you will see exactly what i am talking about on his jackson custom 7 string.

I have his dvd , the art of picking and he does alot of stuff on the high frets and when i see the video the upper frets on the board are so free and i tried holding them on my rg2120xtb but i couldnt and when i tried stretching my hand the back of my hand hits the horn otherwise on small stretches/patterms like 20-22-24, the bottom of my hand hits the curve of the body leading into the horn.

If i made a page on geocities with some pictures and talked about it here...actually i have gone through the tutorials but i have alot of other questions which may or may not have been answered there, so i really wanna do this project and make my existing guitar even cooler. so if i could discuss this with you guys and plan it out and let my parents and myself! know exactly what i have to dom then i can see how much its going to cost and actually do it. I have a small room on the topmost floor of my house where i can setup a small workshop and my parents are all for it as long as i have everything planned and i know what im doing. i was thinking ith this guitar and my fender star type copy with jacksonish headstock i could gain experience learn and stuff and go on to making my own from scratch.

I only have two doubts, i have no-one to show me or teach me how to use the tools, i can follow the instructions but i am still a bit unsure about my plans and ideas andit pisses me off because i cant do anything about it cause theres NOONE here in india to teach me. No schools nothing. All ive found is this website.

also i dont know what a router is and i kniow you can cut the cavities with it but how it works what it actually is etc..and also ive been through the tutorials but i hvnt been able to figure out how a truss rod works. i can understand why its there and stuff but what makes the guitar bend a certain way by moving the truss rod clockwise and anticlockwise.

If you guys could help me out by giving me all the links you have for readin and help answer some questions and basically point things out for me i could get started and know more and enjoy this also. let me know if you guys have the time and patience then ill make the geocities.

ALSO the body is kinda pieced together i think the wings were cut for a neckthrough and then it was pieced together for a bolt on.

ALSO i dont know whta the body wood is. Im completely lost,with pictures!

thanks, and if ive typed too much, or posted this in the worng area spare me cause thisis prob my 2nd 3rd post. :D

I did the same thing you're doing --I started by modifying existing guitars. There are all kinds of things to be learned, it's a good place to start. (And a lot of fun, too.)

I'm also learning how to do most of this with only this forum to help me --have a look, I've posted TONS of questions, and people have been really great about answering most of them, even some of the truly weird ones I throw out there... :D

It helps to use the search function (not always easy though --I mean, if you don't know the terms, how can you search?).

I'd say post your project in the progress section --you can link to photos there, and you can ask project-specific questions there too.

The main piece of advice I can offer is: practice. Whatever tool you end up using, just practice --the same way you learned how to play the guitar. It amazes me some of the things I'm able to do now that I couldn't have done just a few months ago!

Welcome to the forum bombshredder :D

These guys offer good advice. You've got a lot to learn, and it will take time, but look at the whole thing as a learning process (instead of getting to the finish line with a new guitar) and it'll be fine. Work carefully and deliberately and you'll find this is a very addictive but satisfying thing!

Modding existing guitars is a good way to go; ask questions along the way and enjoy the process.

By all means, when it comes to new tools & such, practice on scrap wood first. Also, if you're able to travel, try to see if there are any saw mills you can get to, and what kinds of wood they run through. Some of the "scraps" they toss out can be large enough for a whole body!

I only have two doubts, i have no-one to show me or teach me how to use the tools, i can follow the instructions but i am still a bit unsure about my plans and ideas andit pisses me off because i cant do anything about it cause theres NOONE here in india to teach me. No schools nothing. All ive found is this website.

Why are you pissed off........you have to understand that some of the most wonderful things in life are not handed down to you on a silver platter. Things worth while, you mostly have to work for them. Building a guitar is one of these things.

Most of us had no one to teach them. Still we all had the urge to create something. Something most of us didn't completely understood. Finding this forum has given most of us the opportunity to learn. Browsing through old threads, using the search button on this site.......asking lots and lots of stupid questions.

Just consider this a trip.........where the journey is way more important then the final destination. And yeah, I know.......on the top of your mind is building a guitar.........but in process you will learn more then you ever thought possible. Cause that's life.

also i dont know what a router is and i kniow you can cut the cavities with it but how it works what it actually is etc..

Fill in the word router in the search function of the site and you will see lots of pics of routers and their use.

and also ive been through the tutorials but i hvnt been able to figure out how a truss rod works.

Search function my friend. These are all simple questions that will be answered in the search function. These question have been asked and answered before.

i can understand why its there and stuff but what makes the guitar bend a certain way by moving the truss rod clockwise and anticlockwise.

Strings put tension on a guitar neck. This neck wants to bend up. (looking at guitar from top when guitar laying on it's back) to counter this bending motion we have put piece of metal in neck that works like a corkscrew, by twisting the screw we put tension on the wood.....making the neck bend opposite the string tension. We kinda blow up the neck from the inside.

Also i live in India and not many people here build guitars, there are only a few, and i have no experience and very little eknowledge concerning building and wood selection. I'm sure there are a ton of woods out here and all the tools are available and i can order reading material and videos adn experiment a bit.

India has a nice warm climate (most areas).....and I bet there are some trees too. Warm climate and trees are normally a great combo for growing nice tone wood. So just search around........check out wood/furniture shops/stores/manufacturers........Ordering a heavy body blank from the US, should be your last resort.........I bet ya, that within 20 km of where you live.....there is a nice supply of perfect good tonewood waiting for you. All you have to do is go out look for it.

Mostly stuff I was looking for.....was right under my nose.

Good luck, Indy!!!

Edited by RGGR