Moved! In Debt And The New House

bigdguitars

Well now that I am in its time to setup the shop.

The large routers will stay outside. But now do I move the bandsaw and sanding equipement in?

I have two spots in this new house where I can build. I have half of a one car garage thats attached to the house. Or I can do the basement, problem is what do I bring in and what do I leave in the garage?

What are your thoughts on all of this? I have an air filter and all of those types of protection. I also have shopnotes and all those other tools setup mags, but what is more pratical. I have listed out my process to build by, and I am not so sure of what to do.

Just a personal observation, but my office/workspace is right in the middle of the house, making unscheduled invasions by kids, dogs and visitng in-laws easy enough for it to become inevitable - if I had it to do over, I'd go for a separate structure (like the garage), although a basement with sufficiently restricted access might be equally effective. I just don't think people are as likely to interrupt if you're "out in the shop" as they are to seek you out "down in the basement". :D

Edited by lovekraft

Being that you are in Chicago, I would strongly consider the basement route, unless that garage is climate controlled, or you only want to work during part of the year. There are disadvantages either way. My shop is in the basement, and I find it much better there than in the garage.

Both.  :D

If you want a good workout. My shop is in two separate rooms, one upstairs one down. I find it annoying to run upstairs to use the bandsaw, then run back down, find I cut it to long, run back up, etc. This is why I am in talks to rent out space at my work so I can stuff everything in a single, larger room.

I overflowed into the garage. My basement workshop is where I spend most of the time. I also have a large walk in closet and several large deep cabnet shelves (thats where the prepped wood goes). I keep my jointers, an extra scroll saw, air compressor and such in the garage. Bandsaw, drill press, router tables, thickness sander, Belt sander, disc sanders, my main work bench and hand tools stay with me in the basement(w/ a heavy dust colletion system- a must for sure). Finished basements make for great controlled work space year round. I usually only hit the garage for a certain task and then back down I go to the real work space.

Have fun with the new house. Its great as soon as you settle in a bit.

Peace,Rich

I would say put all the tools and the wood that you work with in one place. I've noticed that the wood needs to aclimate to the area in which it's worked. If you start moving the project around, inside and outside, the humidity can cause the wood to shink and swell. Just my observation from my last project, I left everything in one place and the results were superior.

I would say put all the tools and the wood that you work with in one place.  I've noticed that the wood needs to aclimate to the area in which it's worked.  If you start moving the project around, inside and outside, the humidity can cause the wood to shink and swell.  Just my observation from my last project, I left everything in one place and the results were superior.

I totally agree. My storage space is in my basement next to the bulk of my tools and workbenches. In my case my garage is attached so not much travel, but when I use tools in the garage it is a make the cuts and back down to my shop with it. Keep things consitent as possible. That will probably be a real important issue with all the wood you work with.

yea my dumb arse has worked on stuff in the basement then left it out in the un-attached garage. Thats not so smart.

They way I am going to setup shop will be all the tools that can come inside will. The large routers will stay outside.

The shop will be under the living room so now I have to find a way to add some noise buffers. Anyone know of non flameable noise dampers?

-Derek

Do a search for Green Glue. Home theater builders use it to isolate rooms and reduce noise leaks. It's good stuff from everythign I've heard of it. You basically sandwich a laryer of Green Glue between two sheets of 3/8" shettrock. For low frequency noise, you'll probably want to use it to seperate the sheetrock from the studs/rafters when you put it up.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

/We don't have basements in Texas, so I don't know how well it will work for you, but lots of people use their basements for home theaters.

I am almost in the shop. I have built my lumber racks, setup all the lighting and outlets. I have an electrcian runnin another box for me for 220.

I am walling off the shop and will include most of the tools inside. I will have to have a mongo dust collector or something of the sort.

-Derek