Yet Another Neck Angle Question...

when routing an angle in the neck pocket, where does the angle begin? do i begin routing downward from the heel? in other words, if a non-angled pocket depth is 5/8", will the heel on a corresponding angled pocket begin a 5/8" and then go deeper as i approach the body end or do i keep the depth of the body end at 5/8" and go shallower as i approach the heel?

man, i hope i made myself understandable! :D

Well, its a bit up to you. You have to know what is the height of the heel. How far will the neck stick out of the top of the body? These are all measurements that you have to do yourself. Not all guitars have the same measurements.

:::whispers::: hey, come closer......

careful about neck angle questions, they'll bombard you with messages about the search engine.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd rightfully so, There's quite a few posts about this topic.

But also remember, egdeltar is rather correct, it does really all depend.

hey, how's that for a completely vague post? eh? :D

You should have enough play in the bridge adjustments to have it angle one way or the other. Recently I did an OFR install where the guy wanted it to sit flush. In that case, I DIDN'T have any play in the bridge because it needed to sit flush with the top. So I routed the neck angle into the pocket, but left it a little shallow. (action would be too low) Then I put the guitar back together to check the action. That way I knew exactly how much I needed to come down to get the action perfect. I just maintained the exact same angle, and went that much deeper. Now the guitar is one of the few rarities that has an OFR completely flat/flush with the body for maximum contact, while still having the perfect action.

It's that kind of planning and understanding that is needed in order to truly answer your question. By the time you've done all that, you can answer it yourself. :D

And I'm not picking on you either, it's just a reality. If you're going to add an angle to an existing guitar, it HAS to come off the front, unless you glued in a base. But on a scratch build you can do it by trial and error, or drawing it all out as suggested.

thanks for your replies. all good suggestions. i will go ahead and draw it out and see if i can determine the best approach.

oh, btw, blakeish, come close... i did use the search and i found a lot of neck pocket threads, however, i did not find a clear answer to my particular question. that was probably because there are a couple of ways to solving the neck angle question as presented by those who responded to this thread.

hey blakeish... i just read my reply and it may have seemed like i was giving you "the business". no, please don't take it that way. i saw a previous post where you were asking about neck angles and i saw the "search" replies you got. so i understand where you are coming from.

some people just lurk and wait to fire those type of replies. although, it is good advice and i always try to do a search first. i even get tempted to give the "search" reply, however, if i was going to take the effort to make a reply, heck, i figure i may as well try to answer the question (or just not reply at all).