A Few Electronic Questions

XPLOAD

Ok, well ive decided to fix up my guitar, but theres a few questions i wanted to ask

1. POTS

My volume pot is a bit dodgy, it doesnt react very well. am i able to replace it with any 500k pot?

2. BLACK ICE

Now i know there are already a heap of thread on the site regarding black ice, but none of them cover what i want to do. I am wanting to have a switch that switches the overdrive on and off. when the overdrive is off, i was wanting the tone pot to be a regular tone pot, and when the switch is on, the tone pot becomes the gain controll. is this possible to do??

3. PHASING SWITCH

The other thing i was wanting to do is to put in a small switch to switch my humbucker in and out of phase, but i have no idea how to do it.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated guys.

cheers, ashley

Edited by XPLOAD

1. You can use pots from stewmac

Prety much everyone on this board gets most of there parts from stewmac.

2. yes thats possiable to do. Basicly you wire up the black ice like a true bypass pedal.

3. Are you talking about haveing you two humbuckers out of phase with each other when there both on? Or the coils on one humbucker out of phase?

If you have one humbucker and want more sounds out of it check out my thread here.

PS when we seeing some pics ash? :D

Edited by Godin SD

3.  Are you talking about haveing you two humbuckers out of phase with each other when there both on?  Or the coils on one humbucker out of phase?

If you have one humbucker and want more sounds out of it check out my thread here.

PS when we seeing some pics ash? B)

one humbucker out of phase, thats all my guitar has. after i posted this topic, i found some wiring diagrams of what you said in your thread, using a double pole, three way mini toggle switch. im gonna stop off at jaycar (a place like radioshack) on the way home and pick one up. and by thisafternoon with the pics, itll be about 1am your time :D com im in aus, so youll be able to see them then

cheers ashley :D

Hi Ashley - Im in Sydney, and also shop at Jaycar for switches. You can get a two position DPDT minitoggle for around $3, and that will do two options, like

series in phase/series out of phase, or

Seies in phase/ coil cut or,

series in phase / paralel in phase

the 3 positions switches have a center all off position - not much use for coil switching options.

THe US web sites have diagrams for series/parallel/single, but it needs a special on/on/on switch which I have not found here in Aus. Id be interestsed if you find one.

Before you spend $27.50US on a Black Ice, buy a Schottky diode (1amp 40 volt) from Jaycar - for 45cents Aus. Put it where a tone cap would go and try it out. You could switch the cap/diode with a single pole toggle.

John

Hi Ashley - Im in Sydney, and also shop at Jaycar for switches.  You can get a two position DPDT minitoggle for around $3, and that will do two options, like

series in phase/series out of phase, or

Seies in phase/ coil cut or,

series in phase / paralel in phase

the 3 positions switches have a center all off position - not much use for coil switching options.

THe US web sites have diagrams for series/parallel/single, but it needs a special on/on/on switch which I have not found here in Aus.  Id be interestsed if you find one.

Before you spend $27.50US on a Black Ice, buy a Schottky diode (1amp 40 volt) from Jaycar - for 45cents Aus.  Put it where a tone cap would go and try it out.  You could switch the cap/diode with a single pole toggle.

John

thanks for that. i went out this afternoon looking for an on/on/on switch, i tried jaycar, dick smiths, a guitar repairer near my place and two guitar shops to no avail. im working on a wiring diagram at the moment for the whole set up, so ill post a pic when its done and see what you all think

cheers, ashley

might i suggest a push pull pot. or even a push push pot.