Best Looking Peice Of Wood You've Ever Seen

Daniel Sorbera

Not the best I've seen but one of the most unusual. I still have to work out how I'm going to use this. Its a mahogany headboard I found in a junk pile! I don't see ANY figured mahogany in my travels, let alone get it for free. Its a large knot with grain swirling like a galaxy around it, also some wispy flames throughout. Too bad its got a crack, but a little tinted epoxy might hide it.

mahogany0092yx.jpg

I just love "busy" wood. :D

Edited by Southpa

Eesh. A single piece? That pink ivory up there is really something else, very special piece, but from my own collection, this quilt sapele has to be one of my faves. Look at it the right way, and there's a ninja hidden in there. Or possibly Darth Vader.

ms_sap_017_004.jpg

I also quote love the relative simplicity of a good set of macassar ebony, or even just even, straight-grained mahogany when finished properly. A good, quartered bearclaw (or even 'plain') spruce top is also a joy to behold. It doesn't have to be quilted beyond all recognition to be beautiful. Although I have to say my red-tinted flamed/lightlyquilted/spalted maple and the half spalt/half flame maple sets I have are very pretty to look at. Grafted Walnut's also rather impressive.

Godin: that's from Curlymaple.com, isn't it? They've got like a page and a half of stuff that's almost as nice, if not nicer (IMO). Not many that wide, though, I'll give you that. I'm hoping the big lot I just won from Durawoods has a few pieces that are 1/2 as nice as that (albeit more of the quilty variety than the flamey/curly. I've done flamed wood, still never done a quilted top). I'll report back on that in a month or two.

• 2 weeks later...