How Thin A Body Can I Get Away With?

the through-body neck is maple with ebony and walnut lams. I haven't yet selected the primary wood for the body wings, but they'll have a 3/8" purpleheart top to allow me to bevel without exposing the wood underneath.

My question is, Can I get away with a 1-3/8 thick body? I'm trying to cut down on weight but still have a strong, solid body. It's a 6-string, so I realize there will be a lot of pressure on the wood.

Thanks for your input

I don't know much of anything about bass guitars and what they need compared to guitars because of the more intense pressure, but I do know 1 1/2-1 5/8" is common, thats about what my guitar will be, and I know many people here are doing and have done 1" guitars and it worked, there are certain things that have to be taken account for like depth of pickup ears, jack depth, pot/switch depth and neck pocket depth, but you said neck through so no big deal there. So I think it would work as long as you watch the size of those parts and put the jack on the side, although it would probably fit either way depending. So go for it, just make sure everything will fit before starting, buy all your stuff and measure, I think you'll be fine and body should be fine against the pressure as the neck should take most of the weight and the purpleheart is strong and should hold up fine. Anyway thats just a personal opinion, get more opinions as I said I know nearly nothing about basses, so this is just a general thought, good luck though and keep us posted. J

I'm making a neck through rhoads V thats 1-1/4" thick. Im using rock maple for the neck and center, and oak for the sides. Seeing as oak is like steel I shouldn't have a problem with strenth, as for tone.....pending, have to wait and see/hear. Gibson SG's are extremely thin. Ibanez's are ridiculously thin.

It has been said in recent years that thickness of an electric guitar/bass has less bearing on the tone than once thought. I'll let you know when I'm done.

I'm making a neck through rhoads V thats 1-1/4" thick. Im using rock maple for the neck and center, and oak for the sides.  Seeing as oak is like steel I shouldn't have a problem with strenth, as for tone.....pending, have to wait and see/hear.  Gibson SG's are extremely thin.  Ibanez's are ridiculously thin.

It has been said in recent years that thickness of an electric guitar/bass has less bearing on the tone than once thought. I'll let you know when I'm done.

awesome, keep me posted