wood species

anyone know a good website (i've seen a couple flimsy ones and other incomplete ones) or book, pdf file, magazine....anything with the specific weight, strength, stiffness, colour, workability, and weather it's open of closed grained. For all the woods we use on guitars? like alder, basswood, poplar, mahogany, lacewood, maple, ebony, rosewood, i'm also interesting in finding a list that would include alot of more exotic woods like bloodwood, purple heart, zircote, tulip wood, pau amarello etc... and also the tonal characteristics would be a nice little bonus :D

thaaaaaaaaaaaank you, i never even thought to look on amazon.... now i'll do my regular, "should i spend the money or not" routine for the next 2 hours...

ya, that's what i've been using so far, for sourses, but i want one big list, with ALL the info, like most don't have specific weights.... and tonal characteristics... being the major 2 issues. thanks anyways

This would be a great thing to have here on projectguitar.com, wouldn't it? Then people could just post about their experience with one type of wood, and it could be added to the list. Anyone agrees?

umm... i guess i'd like to know if lacewood needs to be finished? or can i leave it raw?..... actually... i'll probably seal it anyways... i guess i'm just curious now. Like what is the best way(easiest) to finish/oil a hardwood that doesn't require a finish, but needs one to keep from oxidizing and turning brown, like purple heart, satine(bloodwood?) or padouk?

• 4 weeks later...