Floyd Rose Trem Without A Locking Nut?

tried search but i came up empty.

has anyone heard or tried installing a floyd rose trem without a locking nut, but using locking tuners (i.e. sperzels or planet waves) and a graphtech graphite nut?

would this work?

There's no point in having a full floyd bridge without the locking nut.

With only the locking tuners and graphtech (or whatever other non-locking) nut, you'd get the same results as with someting like a wilkinson trem or the fender floyd (no fine tuners).

The floyd only makes sense with the locking nut because it has the fine tuners. Without the locking nut, the fine tuners aren't really useful.

Get a good Wilkinson or Fender floyd (like on the strat ultra)

tried search but i came up empty.

has anyone heard or tried installing a floyd rose trem without a locking nut, but using locking tuners (i.e. sperzels or planet waves) and a graphtech graphite nut?

would this work?

Carvin only offers the locking nut as an option. They apparently think the combination of a graphite nut and Sperzels is plenty to keep their guitars in tune. Here is a pic of Tony MacAlpine holding a Floyd-equipped Carvin TMAC 7 stringer.

Guest AlexVDL

Without a locking nut the strings don't go that loose. So the detuning effect when pressing the tremolo gently is less. With the lock nut you make the string length shorter so the effect of the tremolo is more noticable, and IMO you can do more with your floyd because it reacts better and more dramatic.

:D

Rather than using a Floyd Rose bridge where the fine tuners are redundant, I found this Schaller bridge at Allparts (# SB_5250-010, Guitar Bridges-> Modern Tremolos) which looks almost like the Original Floyd Rose pre-fine tuners, except has roller bridges. Has a nice, heavy bar like a Floyd. Then, if you want locking at the bridge, get some Phantom String Lock saddles (Here). Just an idea.

Edited by Rocket

With only the locking tuners and graphtech (or whatever other non-locking) nut, you'd get the same results as with someting like a wilkinson trem or the fender floyd (no fine tuners).

The floyd only makes sense with the locking nut because it has the fine tuners. Without the locking nut, the fine tuners aren't really useful.

You're putting the cart before the horse. The fine tuners are there because of the locking nut, not the other way around. The original Floyd Rose didn't have fine tuners, but were added later because it made tuning easier with the locking nut.

You can use a floating bridge and locking tuners. I've done it. But given my druthers, I prefer the locking nut.

GBT

I used a FLoyd with locking tuners and no locking nut on one of my 7-strings for years and never had a problem. I abuse the whammy like crazy too and never had a problem with the guitar coming out of tune.

-RAF

I've heard that from others, too. But still others share my (one) experience - that it isn't as stable. I'd be willing to buy that if the regular nut is perfect (or you're willing to make it so) it'd be fine, but if not the locking nut will likely be better. The locking nut seems more certain, and works well even with non "straight across" designs - say, like Jacksons. Of course, locking nuts are more of a pain in other ways.

Edited by Jester700

You're putting the cart before the horse. The fine tuners are there because of the locking nut, not the other way around.

GBT

Yes! that's exactly my point.