The "tang Top"

I wasn't planning on posting a thread for this project, but I doubt I'll get the motivation to really make a dent in it if I don't. Having to drive an hour and a half just to use your own shop can be discouraging...

flamedlimba.jpg.xs.jpgfretboard.veneers.binding.jpg.xs.jpg

limba.jpg.xs.jpgmapletop.jpg.xs.jpg

(special thanks to Rich for helping me find the wood)

Here are the specs:

Neck:

-Set neck

-Flamed black limba with "white" Brazilian rosewood fretboard

-"white" Brazilian rosewood head stock veneer and strapping

-Inlays are "to be determined." What I do know is that they'll be done in black MOP and MOP.

-Black MOP purfling on fretboard

-Flamed limba binding and 2ply wooden purling on head stock

-graphite nut

-true 24.75" scale

-24 frets

-A-symetric neck profile(think srv)

Body:

-Black limba solid body

-Carved, wedged(you'll see B) ), flamed maple top dyed black.

-Flamed limba binding, and 4 ply purfling around top.

-Black MOP purlfing around sides

-"white" Brazilian rosewood pickguard

-tummy cut

-control cavity covers cut from the same stock body(if I have any rear cavities...)

Electronics:

-Kent Armstrong over wound P90's with maple covers to match the top(that'll be fun to make :D )

-Pickguard top mounted volume

-2 tone thumbwheels under pickguard

-4 way rotary switch: neck/parallel/series/bridge(don't know where that's going yet, hmmm)

-I'm contemplating putting fiberoptics in this thing, but I'm still unsure

Hardware:

-all black

-sperezel locking tuners

-stetsbar tremolo(I won't be able to finish this project until stetsbar finally starts making black OEM's)

-either recessed straplocks or flamed limba strap buttons built around recessable straplocks

-the rest is to be determined

The reason it's called the "Tang Top" is three fold. First, my girlfriend tells me my design(at least the body) looks like a girl's tank top...ok :D . Second, it's supposed to be a bit satiric of PRS's "Ten Top." Finally, I absolutely blow at coming up with names for these things...And yes, I know "tang" is spelt "tank." I just don't like the harsh sound of "tank top." "Tang top" flows much more nicely.

Edited by thegarehanman

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Click thumbnails to enlarge)

Here's a screen shot of the plans I'm working on. So does it look like a tang top? :D The design is loosely based around the dimensions of an LP(I like the way an LP sits in my lap).

plans.JPG.xs.jpg

Here's a picture that should give you a feel for what I'm doing with the top. Basically, I'm going to chop the flamed maple I have into several wedges, and glue them back together to make it look somewhat like a sun's rays.

maple.jpg.xs.jpg

Oh! Btw, the theme of the guitar is supposed to be "black and white." Everything that's not black or white is either getting bleached or stained. We'll see if that actually works out according to plan. While I'm on that topic: can anyone recomend a good wood bleach? I doubt it'll work out as planned, but it's cool. This wood is too gravy to not use.

Edited by thegarehanman

Freakin Sweet! I'm digging that design and especially that wood!!! Thats some mouth watering flamed limba and the rosewood is wow! Looks to be another killer project man, I can't wait to see you get started. That wedge idea is great, I think I remember when you thought that up, or at least thought about doing it, I think it will be crazy but considering your skills very doable. Very cool features once again, you seem to know how to think up details that work great. Well good luck Russ, I know this will be another killer guitar, and maybe afterwards you can start designing some womens clothing! lol. J

Call 'em Viking Horns! Sounds like what they would be called if you named them. I guess I'm bored, anyways I do like them, at first I thought the waist might be too thin but after some more consideration I do like it, and it makes the horns work perfect, imo at least. Well good stuff man, it looks to be another great piece. J

I like the design too but I think if you took the horns in a bit it would look a bit better. I think the overall width should be less than the lower bouts. I like the thickness of the actual horns but maybe just bring them closer in. Know what I mean :D I'm not sure how to describe it.

I understand what you mean. Originally, I had the horns farther out, but I realised they were wider than the lower bout of the body. That's a big no no as far as balance goes. I brought the horns in and the lower bout out. The waist is 7.25 inches, wide; that's the width of a 50's paul. The body is also the same width as a 50's paul(12.5 I think?). Doesn't look like a paul though :D. I'm happy with it the way it is. If I change anything at all, it will be to pull in the upper horn(definitely not the lower). I want something different for the headstock, but I don't want it to look "metal" and I like to keep it kind of wide. Overall, I'm happy with it. I think I'll get away with absolutely no cavities in the rear. That should look nice. It's going to have most of the electronics mounted to the pickguard(as shown), but I'm still unsure about the location of the rotary switch(might change that to a 3p4t slider though).

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Since you guys aren't dig'n that horn width(which was debatebly buggin me...haven't decided yet), I may bring in the upper horn just a tad. Like this(the left one is the new one):

horntuck.JPG.xs.jpg

It's not much, but it makes a difference. I have some time to mull over the whole thing and decide which route I'll go. Asthetically, I can't forsee myself making any other changes

Edited by thegarehanman

That does look better, but there is somthing about it that still looks a bit off. It may just be that my eye picking out the fact that it doesnt fit the standard strat proportins or somthing. I think the one thing that might be a bit od (to me) is the fact that you have the treble side lower bout a bit shorter than the bass side. I think that makes the bass side horn "pop" out a bit more. Maybe if the treble side bout was a bit more proportional to the bass side that would even things out and make those horns a bit less obtrusive? I dont really know, but I can tell you that I think its awesome that you are trying to come up with an original design, regardless of my feelings about it. It's your design and if you like it, run with it.

I think it's great the way it is now. (2nd generation) And here's your headstock:

Take the horns, and shrink them down so they're roughly the size of the top of a PRS style 3x3 headstock. Then bring the waist out a little so it's basically a wide PRS style headstock, but the top of it is cut exactly like your treble and bass horns, with a very large scoop out of the middle. I can't really make it right now, but I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Sorry, guys the shape stays the way it is. I may toy with the headstock, but not much if at all.

Big D:

I'll probably have to make some sort of jig to glue the wedges together. I don't have that figured out yet, but I'll deal with it when the time comes. The design itself isn't new, people have been doing that on floors for years(see "marquetry). Although, I'm pretty sure this'll be the first time it's been done on a guitar top. The only stipulation about gluing the wedges together is that I need to do it on a flat surface so the underside is level after it's glued together. I'm considering bisquit joining all of the pieces in the very middle(which will end up under the bridge PU) so they line up perfectly.

I'm aware that the left side lower bout is thicker than the right side...that's on purpose. I'm going for an A-symetrical look. I think it would lose a lot of its character if only the horns were A-symetric.

Edited by thegarehanman

I have seen it done in floors too they don't have the problem of glueing it up.

I would try to do it in 1/4 wedges and then glue it into a 1/2 and then the halfves together. I would make some sort of jig to do it.

Also another thing might be to make sure the center of the wood meets at a pickup cavity incase there is some slipage you will remove that section.

hope this helps

-Derek

Didn't I already mention it was meeting up under the bridge PU? Because that's how I've planned it since day one. Don't worry about a gluing jig, I'll deal with it when the time comes. It's actually more logical to glue the whole thing together at once if all of the sides meet up properly. That way you just need to put pressure on the outside of each wedge(pushing inward) rather than on the sides of each wedge.

peace,

russ

What type of music will this guitar be aimed at?

I read from several sources that black limba was the most wonderful wood in the world in terms of sound quality (for solid bodies). So, I went and built one a while back with a black limba body and black limba neck. I used an ebony fretboard.

At first, I thought it was going to be perfect. I tried some lead/solo work with it and I liked it. I tried some clean/slow stuff, some blues, and it sounded very nice.

Then, I tried what I like most - high gain / metal. I'm not talking about death metal or anything that extreme but something similar to Satriani, Vai, Lynch, ...

It just sounded horrible! I had SD pickups in there at first (I think they were scremon demons) with a SD pickup booster. It didn't matter if I boosted it or not, it was pure MUD!!! The low E was complete garbage. I tried switching to EMG's (81) and got the same result.

So, I'm passing this along just in case. I know every piece of wood has it's own personality - maybe it was a fluke.

You may not even care for that type of music but I thought it was at least worth mentioning. I have never tried using that type of wood since then - I stick to maple, alder, cherry mostly now. That's just my preference though.

I hope it turns out great.

DaveQ

I don't play any death metal, and I rarely use any more overdrive than what you'd hear from say Hendrix. I'm more into jazz, blues, classic rock, and the vibe that was going around in the late 90's(think wallflowers). I was planning on using Kent Armstrong overwound P90's, but now I'm thinking of going with their standard P90. I've almost completed the full scale plans. Once those are finished, I'll post a screenshot.

Until the end of this semester, I'm limited to working on the weekends that I'm willing to drive home. So I won't start making a big dent in it for a month or so. This body style isn't really as traditional as I'm used to, but the whole design came to me pretty naturally. So I'm going with it.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman