Broken Nut...

Well, Im new to guitar fixing, but the nut on my acoustic chipped a large chunk. It doesnt really effect the playing, but I'd like to fix it to look good, would it be a simple glue on type of deal if I bought a new one?

Also, a guitar I gave a friend has an off centered nut, it doesnt budge and Im not sure how it got that way, would THAT effect the playing at all? Should I see if I can simply take it off and center it?

Thanks! :D

Well, Im new to guitar fixing, but the nut on my acoustic chipped a large chunk. It doesnt really effect the playing, but I'd like to fix it to look good, would it be a simple glue on type of deal if I bought a new one?

Also, a guitar I gave a friend has an off centered nut, it doesnt budge and Im not sure how it got that way, would THAT effect the playing at all? Should I see if I can simply take it off and center it?

Thanks! B)

You usually have to buy the nut blank and shape it yourself, otherwise the spacing might be out of wack. :D Theres some good tutorials :D around on how to set it up properly, and if your replacing a plastic nut with a bone one it will sound much better!

As for your friends guitar it may be a compensated nut, if the intonation is fine it'll be better to leave it than to make it look visually appealing but sacrafice sound!!