Body Thickness Of Esp Dv8 Or Jackson Rhoads

Hi guys, it´s been I while since I post here, I´ve been busy but gladly I found some time to build a couple of new guitars :D

Well, I need help: I´ve been looking for the body thickness of the ESP dv8, see my brother if a Mustaine fan so I´m building an exact replica. I read in the archives that the Jackson Rhoads it´s 4,5cm (or 1 3/4") but that seems a little bit too much; maybe I´m wrong (I thought it was 1 1/2"); so I´m looking for different measures, maybe a Jackson King or something along the Flying V lines. Hope you can help me, if anybody need a measure from that guitar or the tracing I´d gladly help. Cheers

Alberto

Hola Alberto, que tal? depends on if the guitar is gonna have a Floyd Rose or not, most Floyd Equipped guitars, are 1 3/4" thick( 4.5 cm) I´ve checked this with my friends´s Jacksons, american Kelly and American King V, and i have a friend who has a Korean Jackson RR 3, ( in case you canñt tell i´m a Jackson guitas freak :D I love the Rhoads) Anyways, that´s the thickness, don´t use the guitarbuild plans , as that plan is HORRIBLE, If i was you, I´d go to a guitar store and trace on paper the shape, are you gonna have a bound ebony neck with shakfin inlays? If you do, please post pics of it, as i've always wanted to build a full replica, but just thinking of how to align the inlays and the binding hs thrown me off a bit :D good luck

Oh, If you´re gonna build a Mustaine guitar, bear in mind that the King V is a very small guitar, you can use a Randy Rhoads and mirror the half of and what you will get is what is called now the " Double Rhoads" Which if i´m not mistaken, was the original King V, but the King V as well as the Kelly have suffered size reduction twice, so keep that in mind :D good luck, I know that you're one of the people who can do that kind of guitars some justice

hola Eddie, thanks for the tip; I thought that maybe the ESP and the Jackson where similar in body thickness but my intention at the end is to build an ESP DV8 replica.

The guitat will have a tuneomatic bridge, I was planning on making a 3 degree angle, so no floyd for me :D I know what you mena about the bound fretboard and inlays nut just give it a go, I sure you'll do it fine, cheers

Anybody can confirm the 1 3/4" body thickness? thanks for the help

If it´s not gonna have a Floyd, then i wouldn't worry too much about body thickness, by the way, where do you find the parts you need for your projects in Peru? Here in Venezuela is hard as hell to find something to build a guitar...Oh, I think the Mustaine, the ESP, could be a double rhoads

BY the way, I built this warlock, and it's 4,5 cm thick, as you can see, there´s no floyd :D

100_0352.jpg

Edited by eddiewarlock

Hey eddie nice warlock, really cool guitar, is mahogany the body wood? I love the fretboard also, you don´t need any help, you have built a really nice guitar.

I order from StewMac or buy some things on sale in music stores, you really need lucky down here :D But I can find top-quality mahogany, pau ferro, cedar, etc really cheap so I guess that kind of compensate things.

I would like to make the most exact replica I can so if you can help me with the measures Haggardguy it would really be apreciate, thanks for the help.

Yep, all mahogany, right now in Venezuela all we can find is cedar, purpleheart and mahogany are forbidden to be sold or cut

I have done inlays as you can see, BUT the sharkfin inlays have to be aligned to one side of the fretboard, and you still have to leave space for the binding;)

The ESP mustaine only has dot inlays, and the 8 ball inlay, both in my opinion, ruin the guitar, no inlays would look way better

Im currently building a Rhoads V neckthrough, using maple for the neck and oak for the body wings. I made the decision early on to make it 1-1/4" thick. I was worried about the Oak being way to heavy if I made it any thicker. Without hardware its not very heavy so I couldve made it thicker. I'd recommend making it thicker than I did, the actually production models are about 1-3/4" thick. Now all I have to do is choose a stain....I'm thinking dark.....and evil....

thanks metallisomething, I was thinking on building it with a ! 3/4" body depth; can you post pics of your neckthrough? it would be cool to see what you´ve got, I bet it awesome. Actually now that I´ve build a neckthrough SG I think that it´s way easier for me to build a neckthrough than a ser neck for instance.

hey eddie I don´t think I´m gonna put that 8ball either, I think it looks bad, but I haven´t though on what to inlay. And about the sharkin inlays, mm I built a neck with tha classic gibson custom block inlays and really it´s not that difficult, and seeing your guitar I´m really sure you can.

• 4 weeks later...

007.jpg

I have both a Jackson KV-2 and an ESP DV8-SE and you can see from the photo how big a difference there is between the 2.

The measurements for the DV8 are as follows.

1) Distance between outer edges of the tips of the Vs = 18 3/4"

2) Straight line distance along the body from the tip of the V to 19th Fret (fret wire)where the body meets the neck = 23"

3) Straight line Distance from 19th fret (fret wire) to body edge in the cut out = 13 1/4"

4) Body thickness 1 3/4"

5) Neck angle 1 deg

Neck width 42mm at nut, 60mm at 24th fret, radius 12" - Scale 25.5"

From this all you will need to do is draw in the smooth curves to form the inner part of the V.

If you need anything else, shout.

Doomlord.

Edited by doomlord