Options From Ormsby

In a nutshell, the shredder option is where the frets get thinner higher on the fretboard:

http://www.funkyshack.com/camo/pics/22-FretsInstalled2.jpg

and the speed shelf (to my knowledge anyway) is just the recessed area around the heel:

http://www.funkyshack.com/camo/pics/39-WhitePaint2.jpg

Clearly Perry will need to explain it in more detail, becuause I have no idea in what way the banjo frets relate to the neck joint... but im sure Perry will, seeing as he coined it :D

- Dan

ahhh ... you see, this is what happens when you add a GOTM entry at 3:30am

Shredder option is standard jumbo frets to the 14th, then a thinner, but just as high fret from there on. Lots of guys complain about jumbo's not giving them any room up the top of the fretboard, this goes someway to solving that.

Speed shelf is basically a recessed section at the neck joint, which allows the player to 'stick their thumb' right behind the joint and REALLY REALLY bend some notes. Why call speed shelf?? I dunno, i thought it looked sleeker than normal.

Editted the GOTM entry to fix typos

Perry, I like the idea of thinner frets up high, especially if you've got fat fingers.

What's the thickness of those higher frets?

Also, got any photos of the speed shelf? Is that anything like the contoured heel where the heel is thinner and gets thicker towards the body?

Edit, just checked out the the GOTM thread. Perry, that guitar is way cool. I love that cavity treatment! That is an amazing special touch. It seems like you outdo yourself with every new guitar! What's the trimpot for?

By calling it "Shredder option", I thought you were doing that "trick" where the fret heights get lower as they go toward the body, which is supposed to be ideal for "speed metal". That's not my opinion at all, just what I've seen one or two others say. From what I know it's a crock, because I think I've gotten the lowest actions possible without doing that.

But, if you're using the same height along the whole board, I agree that it's a nice option to have. I would have that on my own guitar, except I like them narrow all the way.

Perry, I like the idea of thinner frets up high, especially if you've got fat fingers. 

What's the thickness of those higher frets?

Also, got any photos of the speed shelf? Is that anything like the contoured heel where the heel is thinner and gets thicker towards the body?

Edit, just checked out the the GOTM thread. Perry, that guitar is way cool. I love that cavity treatment! That is an amazing special touch. It seems like you outdo yourself with every new guitar! What's the trimpot for?

I posted a picture of the speed shelf at the beginning of this thread :D :D

And yeah, the the PA2 is just a variable gain booster, up to 20db as far as I know, hence the trimpot.

- Dan

There must be some other benefit to smaller frets on higher numbered frets besides getting your fingers to fit. Jake E. Lee has tiny hands (I shook his right hand once.) I always wondered if his frets were also shorter and if he thought the action could be lower because of that. Looks like it would complicate leveling.

(And I shook his hand after a show as he leaned off the stage, about to leave, so I couldn't ask him.)

I guess the *look* of it could be another reason. More fret-board wood to see if the crowded fret area has less massive frets.

Possibly sound too. Those upper frets can get a little "warbly" sounding, and maybe a more narrow fret helps the note sound more "focused".

I don't have a name for it, like Perry does. I just say something like :

" and you can also have me put more narrow frets near the body, as long as they are the same height". Then I have to explain which ones are the same height. An "old standard" is the "6100" (Dunlop size number) with "6105" near the body end. Ralph Novak was the first one I heard of doing this.

Maybe Jake E. Lee just has it done on his 24 3/4" scale necks. I think it makes more sense on shorter scale necks. I mean, here's a 25.5" scale neck I just put .057" x .110" frets on :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...ew_frets_21.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...ew_frets_22.jpg

Still looks and feels pretty uncrowded for a wide fret, to me.

Banjo size frets are great on a bass. The perfect size for that, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Freakin Amazing idea perry. My proverbial hat is off to you man. I was talking with a guy i know and he never thought of anything that cool. i like the fat frets for ease of tapping and stuff. but i keep my little cheap strat with high narrow frets like randy for precision. that makes so much sense it isnt even funny it should be a freakin rule or something.

i think i may just shoot for this for my current project

i always wanted to try jumbo frets, but at the same time i knew i had to get thin ones cuz my fingers barely fit on the higher frets (and whats the point of getting a 24 fret neck if i cant use any of the extra?)

great idea bro

This is why I used mandolin frets on the Odd Boy. They are really really tiny compared to other fret wires. :D Think of how dinky a mandolin neck is and the thin wire makes sense.

The only downside is that there's not a whole lot of fret wire there when you level them. You can chew through them pretty fast.