Figured Tops

Did a search, couldn't find an answer...(yes, I'm new to this)

I jumped at the opportunity to buy a quilt maple top (1/4" thick). My question is in regards to body thickness. I was planning to put this on a Telecaster body (standard 1 3/4" thick) which would make a 2" thick body. Is this how this is normally done? Is that too thick/heavy? Do people usually put 1/4" tops on 1 1/2" bodies?

I'd like to keep the body at 1 3/4", but not sure the best way to thin out the body.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, you'd put a 1/4" top on a 1 1/2" bodly blank(ash, alder, w/e) if you want a 1 3/4" thick body. Elementary dear watson, elementary. Now for anyone to give you advice on how to "thin out the body," we're going to need to know what we're dealing with. Is this "telecaster body" an actual cut out body(maybe even with a finish), or are you planning on starting from scratch?

My question should have been: How is this usually addressed? In this case, is it normal practice to thin the body in an effort to get a total body thickness of 1 3/4", or do most apply the top as is and leave the body at 2"?

The body I'm looking at is unfinished, rough cut in a tele shape. It has no routing of any kind for controls, pickups, neck cavity etc. I haven't purchased this body as of yet. Is it easy to thin out or should I pursue a 1.5" body elsewhere?

I don't own a band saw (hence my preference for a rough cut body as opposed to a body blank)

Thanks,

Dave

Typically, you either buy the body already done with the quilt topper, or you build it yourself from scratch at your desired thickness.

Another answer to consider is to chamber the body and have a 2" thick chambered Tele, nothing wrong with that.

Heck, install a Parsons/White B-bender in that thar bad mommacita! :D

My question should have been: How is this usually addressed?  In this case, is it normal practice to thin the body in an effort to get a total body thickness of 1 3/4", or do most apply the top as is and leave the body at 2"?

The body I'm looking at is unfinished, rough cut in a tele shape.  It has no routing of any kind for controls, pickups, neck cavity etc.  I haven't purchased this body as of yet.  Is it easy to thin out or should I pursue a 1.5" body elsewhere?

I don't own a band saw (hence my preference for a rough cut body as opposed to a body blank)

Thanks,

Dave

Personally I'd leave it at 2". Nothing wrong with a bit more mass. If you want it lighter all you have to do is cut out some sound chambers before you put the top on.

First off...thanks to all for your advice.

Now--Decisions, decisions...

I guess a 2" body with some tone chambers would be nice. But I think I might prefer a standard thickness body. The edges on this particular body are not rounded. I intended to use this particular body because it's inexpensive and I don't have a band saw to cut my own.

For arguments sake, what tool (I assume some sort of plane?) would I use to shave the body thinner?

Perhaps now is a good time to consider purchasing a band saw. Can anyone reccomend a decent inexpensive band saw?

You wouldn't use a bandsaw for this. You'd need a pretty wide planer or thickness sander. Although you could always make one of those router thicknessing jigs. Another important thing to consider would be the neck pocket. Has the neck pocket been routed on this guitar you're looking at? If it has, you'll need to shim the neck 1/4" after you put the top on(if your final thickness is 2"). Also, you'll have to use a trimmer follower bit to get the routes in the maple top to match the cavities that are already routed in the body. That's not to be confused with a pattern follower bit.

peace,

russ