Wood Toxicity

is it possible to have a reaction to a professionally made guitar(ibanez) which is made from mahogany and maple?

Possible Yes, Likely No. Most have a pretty nice finish and would be covered, although many guitar necks aren't finished which could cause an irritation, but if you have problems with maple or mahogany your in trouble because probably most production guitar necks are made from those woods, there are others but those are the main ones I would say. So I think you wouldn't have any reaction to a finished guitar, have you had problems in the past? Many times it's the dust or chips of wood that cause the irritation so just touching one is less likely to cause problems and with a finish would most likely never bug you.

And I think if you had a reaction to any brand of guitar then all guitars made of that wood would bug you not a certain brand, unless it is the finish or polish that goes on them, that could definately be a brand thing, but most companies all use the same woods for guitars, maples, mahoganys, basswood, ash, walnut and so on. Well good luck and I suggest going to a store and playing one that you like to see if it indeed bothers you although I think you'll be fine. J

I have a reaction to ALL Ibanez guitars. What is your reaction like? I just get spots where I thouch them but you might be getting"wheezes" which is differant than mine. I think the finish is the source.

i get itchy, headache and heartburn that could be coming from the case though which has a chemically odor. that or its in my head.

If you're having these kinds of reactions repeatedly, go see a doctor, and have them test you for allergies.

As a rule, it's dust from sensitizing woods that's the nasty, nasty culprit; of the exotics, Cocobolo and Pau Ferro are reputed to be some of the worst offenders, Cederella has been mentioned by some, and for domestic woods, Walnut's not all that much fun. However, in many cases, even with people who react seriously to Cocobolo/Pau Ferro dust, playing a guitar with (for example) an unfinished fingerboard made of those woods, assuming it's been cleaned thoroughly, polished, and is dust-free, present few to no problems whatsoever.

On a finished guitar, if you're reacting to it, it's the finish, not the wood underneath.

I have a reaction to ALL Ibanez guitars. What is your reaction like? I just get spots where I thouch them but you might be getting"wheezes" which is differant than mine. I think the finish is the source.

i get itchy, headache and heartburn that could be coming from the case though which has a chemically odor. that or its in my head.

If that's a relatively new case it could be the glue or wood gassing off. Take a look at this.

If that's a relatively new case it could be the glue or wood gassing off. Take a look at this.

i think its the damn lemon oil i spilt in it like a year ago. femeldayhde , a guitar finish contains that huh?

I was talking aboout the case.  :D But if you thought it was the lemon oil you spilled that was making you sick, why didn't you say so? :D

I'm really starting to think you're just trolling. My opinion, nothing else.

well heres the thing i have several guitars. one is an ibanez in an ibanez case it gives a minor reaction which usually goes away quickly once its out of the case which makes me believe its the lemon oil i spilt in it. on the other hand i have another ibanez which kind gives me a rweaction, not in a case. finally i have another guitar in a guitar center brand cae which is new, it smells really bad of chemicalls and its with this i have the worst reaction.

adam

well heres the thing i have several guitars. one is an ibanez in an ibanez case it gives a minor reaction which usually goes away quickly once its out of the case which makes me believe its the lemon oil i spilt in it. on the other hand i have another ibanez which kind gives me a rweaction, not in a case. finally i have another guitar in a guitar center brand cae which is new, it smells really bad of chemicalls and its with this i have the worst reaction.

adam

Sounds like the cases/offgassing. Leave all the guitars out, on stands, for a couple of weeks/months, and see if it goes away. Leave the cases in the sun, open, until they stop smelling. See if that helps.