Some Very Basic Question To Help Me With My Effect

Opencan

Its kind of my first real project (not from school, where i've been told EVERYTHING and i got other people doing the same, so we can debug ourselves) and i miss the very basic knoladge.

first, i got the IC of my distrotion-to-be effect and i can't really figure if the dot points the first leg, or the last one. how do i actually count them? i used the dot as "1" and the other reverse clockwise from there. is it correct?

another thing, i got the input and output jacks and i don't really know what goes to each leg of it. i'll add a picture and please tell me what goes where :D

another thing, is that i don't really know where to put the minus wire from the battery to ~_~ tried to put it to the collective minus, where everything goes when the schematics told me to put them to the "ground", is it good?

and i got some capasitors which i don't really know if they are good for this circuit (it uses a 9V battery), because when i went to buy something i didn't had, they gave me a different type. i'll add their picture near the jack. (they are yellow)

Thanks, and sorry for all the silly questions ^^;;

DSCF0574.JPG

and here is a link to the circuit, if it matters:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/driftingfuzzbal...ampdistplus.pdf (the lower one)

Its kind of my first real project (not from school, where i've been told EVERYTHING and i got other people doing the same, so we can debug ourselves) and i miss the very basic knoladge.

first, i got the IC of my distrotion-to-be effect and i can't really figure if the dot points the first leg, or the last one. how do i actually count them? i used the dot as "1" and the other reverse clockwise from there. is it correct?

another thing, i got the input and output jacks and i don't really know what goes to each leg of it. i'll add a picture and please tell me what goes where :D

another thing, is that i don't really know where to put the minus wire from the battery to ~_~ tried to put it to the collective minus, where everything goes when the schematics told me to put them to the "ground", is it good?

and i got some capasitors which i don't really know if they are good for this circuit (it uses a 9V battery), because when i went to buy something i didn't had, they gave me a different type. i'll add their picture near the jack. (they are yellow)

Thanks, and sorry for all the silly questions ^^;;

and here is a link to the circuit, if it matters:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/driftingfuzzbal...ampdistplus.pdf (the lower one)

On the jack, signal is the long contact (the "tip" of the plug) and the ground is the the other part that connects to the area just behind the mounting threads (the "sleeve" of the plug).

Looking at the schematic, it does indeed look like the battery (-) should be connected to the general ground.

I can't really tell you anything about the caps without more info, but so long as they're the right capacitance (in Farads, or microfarads (uF) or picofarads (pF)) and at an equal or higher voltage rating, they're fine.

The negative (-) battery wire connects to the ring terminal of the stereo input jack (standard stompbox switching jack). One end of your IC chip will have a dot on the left side of it - that's pin 1 (see below).

pinout.png

As for your other questions, you've given us zero info to go on, and your picture is illegible, so there aren't really any answers to give. I seriously doubt that you're ready to complete this project without some serious hands-on assistance ( the kind you can't get on a forum), but we'll try to help. You're going to have to be clearer and more precise about what you have and what you need, though - blurting it all out without any attempt at making sense won't help anybody. Try to think clearly and ask specific questions - when you ask something like, "...and i got some capasitors which i don't really know if they are good for this circuit (it uses a 9V battery), because when i went to buy something i didn't had, they gave me a different type. i'll add their picture near the jack. (they are yellow)...", the only logical answers are "What are you talking about?" and "How the Hell should I know?" :D Tell us what you asked for, what "they" gave you, and perhaps even where you got it, and maybe then we can answer your questions. If you're in a hurry, this is going to end up being painful, I'm afraid. :D

Sorry for the lame way i wrote it, i'll try to re-phrase it :$

I bought in an electronics-stuff shop all the stuff requiered to the circuit. they gave me some yellow, small capasitors that have no polarity. they never asked me what voltage i need or anything like that. now, a few days ago i spotted a capasitor missing, so i went to another store and specified my need a bit longer, and they gave me this red squer capasitor with 2 short (compared to my other component) legs.

now my actual question is, how can i know whats my capasitors voltage? firstly i thought it was by color, and it seems like i thought wrong. is there any way to test it? and for my circuit i guess 5V capasitors won't help at all :\

another weird question, that i seem to get wrong, is that i bought a mono input\output jack o.O it just seem fine to me o.o

And i'm really sorry for my level of english, its mainly because i don't speak english as a mother language.

And its really insulting to hear something like "I seriously douby that you're ready to complete this project without some serious hands-on assistance". anyhow, I've learnt only theoreticly eletronics for 3 years during school, and i know, at list in my opinion, enough to finish a simple IC circuit, except of this very basic info, that i never got because we didn't really had the funds for actual circuit building. I asked all the questions that i could think of, thats why it may seem i live in a farm that doesn't have electricity and try to manage to do something with components i bought from a traveler.

And really, thank you for all the help :D *gives a cookie*

:D Somethin' tells me there's gonna be more than a few cookies changing hands around here! :D As for my concerns about your abilities being insulting, your lack of focus is fairly well-documented in your post - I meant no disrespect, but I still don't hold out much hope for this project being successfully completed any time soon without a sea-change in your attitude and concentration. Obviously, your situation puts you at a disadvantage, and I will try to help any way I can, but don't expect me, or anyone here, to be able to help you if you can't think clearly enough to give us the basic information we need.

First of all , where are you (a continent and a language will do, if you feel more info would be asking too much)? Second, what components are you using? If possible, at least on those caps, get the numbers from outside, and a manufacturer's logo, if present. Finally, if your exaggerated sense of self-worth is more important than getting this project done, simply let me know, and I'll stop insulting you by trying to help. Concentration, focus and humility, kohai - these are the keys to knowledge. B)

You're right, i didn't described my problem (at all) enough, but your post was like saying to a child that shows you a painting he drew "yuck, thats gross, can't you do something better with your time?!" its just squeez any will you had to keep on going.

Israel, Hebrew, i don't mind giving other details..

I simply went to a store and bought what the schematic demanded. there are some resistors (which i got no problem with :D) some diodes, some capasitors (which i DO got a problem with), a 4558 IC, some mono PL jacks, and all the wires needed in variety of colors (i like colors B))

I got some yellow, small and resistor sized legs with no manufacter logo, which say the value of the cap and other numbers without any sense between the capasitors.

and i got some black capasitors, from a brand called "Jamicon" and it says 50V and the value there. i don't consider them problematic.

I know what i worth, i know my knoladge is poor, but i've done circuits like that before, and with a little help with stuff i didn't really used before, like jacks (we just put the osiloscope or multi-metter as an output), and capasitors that i got from my teacher.

There's a point where insulting someone will help him to finish a project, but for someone who just tries to figure up whats going on, your just making him quite.

by the way, i never like thoes chinese sentences :D

and please, lets cut the "i worth more, i know stuff" and the "your lame, you should die!" stuff, ok?

By the way, at the worst case, i'll just call someone i know and go with a circuit for instruction, but that will cost quite a bit, so i rather not at this stage.

pat.gif

You're still not telling us what we need to know - what, precisely, is written on the outside of the caps? Simply because those numbers don't make sense to you does not mean that they are superfluous, or even that they won't make any sense to someone else. If you can't adequately reply to that simple request, I think I'm through. Since you've already decided I'm beastly, there's no sense in traumatizing you further with the way I am when I get truly frustrated. Either way, I do wish you the best of luck with your project.

emm, i don't mind giving them, but i've opened another thread about it a while ago, and thats what i've been told. anyhow, thats what written:

i got pretty much of them, so i'll give the numbers of some:

470J (blank other side)

129 AFF | 103 C1R

236 RAD | 330 AIJ

007 AFT | 332 C1K

023 A11 | 223 C1K

101 A1J | 302 ACM

029 A11 | 223 C1K

345 RCA | 100 AIJ

nothing else written

sorry for the frustration ^^;;

and now i'll add the most stupid question ever : doesn't the color of the capasitors indicate their voltage? and isn't there a way that if i know the cap. value to somehow check its voltage with a simple multi-metter?

:D Thank you! Now we can move forward!

...doesn't the color of the capasitors indicate their voltage?
Not any more, but it hasn't been that long since caps had color bands (just like resistors), so the confusion is understandable. Those are what the trade calls "tropical fish caps" these days.

OK, on to the info - my übergeek advisor assures me that all the caps you've listed will handle a 9 volt power supply "without breathing hard", and since there's no way to measure the punch-through voltage without destroying the cap, I'd tend to take his word for it. The values listed don't match the list for Francisco's Distortion+ schematic, but how much substituting some of the caps will affect the overall tone remains to be seen (it might not make a lot of difference, and might even be an improvement). Are you going to use a printed circuit board, or are you going to wire it point to point? If you're doing point-to point, it'll be easy enough to replace any caps that cause tone problems once you've got it working. As for using a stereo TRS jack for the input, it is simply wired as a battery switch that disconnects the ground when you unplug the jack from the input - when plugged in, the solid sleeve on the plug shorts the stereo ring terminal and battery (-) to the circuit ground on the stereo sleeve lug, powering up the circuit. It's just a battery-saving feature, since you can't run the battery down without having the intput plugged in. Hopefully this is helpful - let us know what else you need to know, or any part of this that isn't clear, and we'll try to get you up and running!

Thanks alot :D

but is there any way to connect the wires to the jacks holes?

And i'm using a pre-wired board - the safest way :D

And i got some other values not mentioned in the schem, but everything needed is here, some are in a black round form with a "Jamicon" tag on them (and 50V) by the way, are they polarazied? because i think they aren't really healthy to my circuit for a reason

a picture with everything : http://members.lycos.co.uk/driftingfuzzbal...ds/DSCF0588.JPG

Edited by Opencan

those are electrolytic capacitors, with a value 4.7 microfarads (if all are as the top one). They are polarised, and the wire nearest to the white stripe goes towards negative. There is usually a '-' symbol there, but I cant see it in the picture. The circuit you posted has two electrolytic caps, C3 and C4 which are 1 microfarad. tHe 4.7's will probably work OK in their place, in this application, as long as you put the negative in the right direction, indicated by the curved side of the cap symbol on the diagram.

John

thanks alot :D i'll just go buy some new caps and use thoes later or something, i have them randomly in my circuit ^^;

but i'll follow the advise i got in my previous topic here, and use none of them

and another question than i though of lately, where can i get the tools for making my circuit on a PCB board, like in this tutorial : http://www.tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?phot...10&sequenceNo=1

i know i can get the press n' peel sheet from small bear elec.

where can i get that copper blank? o.o

what that Sharpie mentioned here : "I have used a Sharpie marker to touch up the traces in the upper left" means?

are there any other etch resistence materials that i can use with this : http://www.tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=11 tutorial?

where can i get this Ferric Chloride?

sure, here are some:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/driftingfuzzbal...ds/DSCF0613.JPG

http://members.lycos.co.uk/driftingfuzzbal...ds/DSCF0616.JPG

I'm working on some changes in the circuit, for now i just decreased the output cap a bit, but i got a list of things i want to try and see how it goes. when i'm done, i'll make a copy of it on a circuiting board i bought and take it to my uncle to make some sound samples with his sound card :D

By the way, the box IS a food container plastic, which actually had something in it (i thing it was some beef, not sure)

I've moved the circuit as it was to a wiring board, and now the gain pot. doesn't work well, if i turn it all to the one side, it screems badly, and when i turn it to the other side, it does pretty much the same thing, but with more bass. i've checked the resistence of this should be 1Mohm pot. and in the middle its about 270K ohm, and in both ends it is about 4 ohms. it also gives some distortion in the middle of the scale. does anyone knows how can i debug it? weirdly i think its my diodes, because they are 8.3K ohm on the circuit, while when they weren't on they were about 640 ohms.other than that, i checked again and again for any wiring mistakes, and i seem to find none.

anyone knows what it might be?

That's EM interference you're picking up.. The Jewish songs, I mean.. Not too sure about the screaming.. Anyways, I think it's because of the container you're using.. Nice idea, but it doesn't provide adequate shielding.. 2 ways you could fix this: 1) get a metal casing (expensive) or, 2) line the inside of the container with aluminium foil.. Just make sure that the foil is electrically 'continuous'.. Unless I'm mistaken, that should help cut out the Jewish radio stations.. :D