Where Can I Find A Bit Like This

dirtyrobinson

How many times can you have a bit re-sharpened? Can you do this with drill bits as well?

You can resharpen drill bits all day long, unless they are carbide tipped, then what Derek posted appiles to them too.

You can get the kit (or should I say machine) to sharpen both drill buts and router bits, but it is very expensive... since you need a lot of special tooling for each type of router bit you are going to sharpen... the one for drill bit only is a lot cheaper.

Okay, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

There are a lot of grades of carbide.

The best cutting tools that I am aware of use C-4 grade.

In router bits you pay for the quality of the carbide, the quality of the brazing and the quality of the bearing. And quality control. The "bad" bits don't get out of the factory.

You get what you pay for.

Whiteside, CMT, and Freud make good stuff, on the whole.

So does Amana. This is an Israeli made product that is mostly sold to pros.

The problem with Grizzly et al is quality control. Some of their stuff is great, Some out of the same batch is not great.

There is a U.S. company called Ridge Carbide out of New Jersey that makes professional grade bits and saw blades. They sell on the web. The real deal.

I rarely sharpen router bits. The profile or diameter changes just enough that it aggravates me more than the savings.

Saw blades I have sharpened, by a local saw shop when the carbide will no longer shave a little cleanly off of my thumbnail, or when I'm just not hapy with the cut.

Router bits, and all other cutting tools for that matter, need to be cleaned frequently. How often depends on what you're cutting.

Use a bit and blade cleaner, not oven cleaner as the latter attacks the brazing and weakens it.

When pitch builds up even a little the bit heats up and that is the main enemy of sharpness and longevity.

Use a lubricant coating, like Boshield, onm the cutting surface of everything carbide.

Use a bearing lubricant on all of your bearings. Every time. And check the Allen screw to make sure it's tight.

I made a living slinging a router for over twenty years and learned that you can woork with almost any grade of tool, but to do reasonably paced high quality work with limited frustrations you need to not scrimp on your cutting tools.