Wiring H/s/s Using Old Type 5way Switch?

Sabu2k1

I re-made this old guitar, and it has a H/S/S config with a old skool 5 way switch and some sort of little switch (coil split? killawitch?) anyway, I got a newer 5 way switch (with 8 pins) and I'm not going to wire the tone button or the little switch, but I can't find a diagram that uses a H/S/S with a 8-pin 5 way switch....any help?

Heres a better picture of what I want to do

wire the 3 pups into the volume and the "unknown mini switch" and the 5 way switch

Back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/ZOMB13/Wiringback.jpg

Front

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/ZOM...wiringfront.jpg

ERROR: Labeled OUTPUT JACK WIRE as GROUND, oops

Edited by Sabu2k1

What's wrong with what lovekraft told you? If you're wondering about the spdt switch, here are two things you can do with it. Solder the output of the first coil from the humbucker and the input of the humbucker's second coil to the middle terminal, and solder a ground signal to one of the outside terminals. That will make the switch function as a coil tap. If you want a kill switch, then solder the output from your 1/4" jack to the middle lug and a ground signal to one of the outside lugs. And there you have it.

peace,

russ

Ok, nevermind with that old switch, I got a newer 8 pin switch, and again, I have some questions, the pups I am using are from various guitars, the Hum is from a Dime 333, and it has only 2 wires, the 2 singles are from a samick and from an Ibanez, and they have 2 wires each , so the pusp are in this order, neck to bridge=

red black) (blue white) (white grey)

now wiring that up with a mini-switch , 1 volume, no tone pot and a 8 pin 5 way switch?

oh, by the way, the mini switch says "M-2012, ON-ON"

Edited by Sabu2k1

OK, basically, you've got a pair of single coils and a two-wire humbucker (eliminating the possibility of coil-splitting), so about the only ways you can use the mini-toggle is as a killswitch or to add a pickup to another position, either in series or in parallel. As for the ebay switch you linked, I can't tell enough about it from the pic to tell what the pinout is on it, but it's a simple matter to use a multimeter to get that info once you have the switch, so that's not a big deal.

You're gonna have to decide what you want in each switch position and get the info on whatever switch you plan on using before anybody can draw you a diagram, unless you're simply lucky enough to get hold of somebody around here that both recognizes that particular switch and knows the Samick color codes well enough to draw up something (and he'd still have to make assumptions about what features you want). Do you know how it was wired originally? It really matters very little what switch you use if you don't know what you want to do with it. I'm not trying to be insulting, but you gotta give us an idea of what you want!

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the first switch you posted, so there's not a whole lot of sense in buying another one unless that one was causing problems.

ooh, ok, so then I guess I'll stick to the old switch...well I bought the gutiar 2nd hand for $20, and it was missing the bridge humbucker only, it had the other two already on there. I was thinking about wiring the killswitch but nevermind, Ill just wire it up using a H/S/S config. into a 5 way switch with only a volume pot. I did this yesterday, and for some reason when I switched to the 1st position the guitar dind't make any noise, but when I switched to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th positions, the guitar was "on", but only the middle pup working, as switching to the 3rd and 4th position sounded the same....now, I guess what im asking for now is a complete diagram for a hum/single/single with a 5 way switch and a 1 volume pot..so I can FINALLY use this guitar as a backup....please...thanks

Perhaps looking at seymourduncan is the wrong approach than. May I suggest delving into sites explaining how certain electronic components function and why they do what they do? Nothing intensive, just enough to get you going on guitar wiring. If you do this, you will be able to figure out the wiring diagram on your own with only a diagram of the switch itself(or even w/o the diagram of the switch if you become handy with a multimeter). Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you've found someone else to deal with all of the electronics questions. haha

Here's a start for your research:

here

and here

If you can find the diagram of the switch alone, you'll be able to integrate it into the wiring diagrams you've found.

peace,

russ