Question About Warmoth Necks And Bodies

Thinking about buying a jazz bass body and neck for a new project. Nothing fancy, just basically putting them together, finishing it, and adding hardware.

Question is: Should I expect the actual assembly to be very complicated? Do warmoth products tend to fit together snuggly, or do some have problems? I'm wondering how much work i'm gonna get into just adding neck to body and placing the bridge.

I don't have any experience, but I was wondering the same thing myself.

I would think that they should fit together properly, and if they don't, you should send them back. They're made to exacting specifications, and if they don't fit together properly there might be a manufacturing defect.

Even in the neck pocket, it might not be QUITE as tight as a custom-routed pocket, but there shouldn't be a big gap.

That's just my thought on the matter, though.... if I buy some parts and assemble them and don't get a snug fit, you can bet there will be some phone conversations.

Greg

I read on another forum (I think) that Warmoth bodies have their neck pockets not routed quite deep enough, that the neck will sit a little high, worth calling and asking them about it directly I think.

I use Warmoth necks all the time and they're great, but since I build my own bodies, I have no idea if that's true or not about their neck pockets, but the thread I read seemed to prove it true by the other posters' comments.

I just recieved my first body from them, a double neck bass/strat. It is outstanding. I only have one neck here at the moment, but in a quick fit test the strat neck pocket looks great. I'll be getting the hardware soon, so I'll keep you posted, but it looks to my eye that both neck pockets are right on the money.

George

The fit on my Warmoth 5-string jazz was perfect... couldn't be any tighter, and just enough clearance for the pickguard. That was a few years ago, back when I could actually walk into their shop and get personal service.

But the neck joint on my latest Warmoth guitar is good, too. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Mike

I was floored by the perfect fit of a Warmoth Fender neck into a Fender body. It was perfect. Oddly, the fit of their neck into their body was not as good. Too loose for my tastes and the heel was not butted up completely. Go figure. I don't know about the pocket depth being shallow because, of course, that depends on the bridge and stuff. Rock rocks! :D

Drak (and all) UPD dropped off the hardware a little while ago, so I test fit everything on the strat side......the pocket height and shape is spot on. Couldn't ask or better. I don't have the bass neck yet, but it looks like that will be fine as well.

Geore

I have done several Warmoth assemblies and also used Warmoth necks in USA Custom bodies. I have experienced good fit in both cases although the USA and Warmoth heel contour appears to be very slightly different. I have also experienced the issue of the neck sitting a little to high but only on basses, not guitars.

One other thing to watch for is if you buy the Gotoh 201 bridge that Warmoth sells you may have the opposite problem of not being able to get the action low enough.

BTW, I was just turned onto this forum by a friend and it looks like a really cool site. I look forward to spending some time in here!! :D