Gfs Pickups

syndromet

I'm looking for a set of new pickups for my corean strat-copy, as my friend wants his Fenders back. The guitar has a Fender-sized bridge and a gibson sized nut, so normal pickups with bobins don't match. I'm therefor looking for rail-type single coils.

Since I am a student, I can't afford diMarzios or Duncans. I've heard about GFS pickups, and read that they get good rewievs. I'm thinking of buying the lil' killer pickups. Anyone tried them? I'm a litle sceptic, as they go for 55$ for three of them. Sound to good to be true....

The PU's :D

I'm looking for a set of new pickups for my corean strat-copy, as my friend wants his Fenders back. The guitar has a Fender-sized bridge and a gibson sized nut, so normal pickups with bobins don't match. I'm therefor looking for rail-type single coils.

Since I am a student, I can't afford diMarzios or Duncans. I've heard about GFS pickups, and read that they get good rewievs. I'm thinking of buying the lil' killer pickups. Anyone tried them? I'm a litle sceptic, as they go for 55$ for three of them. Sound to good to be true....

I've been courious about these for some time, had some discussions and looked as much as I could. I've concluded.

They are reverse wired.

I still haven't seen a useful review yet.

I still haven't heard a sample.

There are no detailed metrics (dc resistance, res peak,freq response..nothing) about the pickups at guitarfetish.com

There is quite a few rewievs on harmony-central, but I don't realy trust them. I don't expect high-end stuff at that price, but I do bevive they are better than the ones I have lying around. I even think they are splitable? Today I have 13 different on my pick-up combinations on my guitar. with splitable PUs I'll have even more... I'm starting to loose controll here...:D

If you have a question about a particular GFS product, email ... (I can't remember the guy's name).  He's easy to deal with, and supplies wiring diagrams with all his pickups.

Jay I believe and he is responsive. I didn't find HC very helpful as what reviews I saw at the time were from nominally experienced people who say 'Like' alot and nothing regarding Jazz application.

Let us know what you find out. :D

Edited by Gorecki

I've been courious about these for some time, had some discussions and looked as much as I could. I've concluded.

They are reverse wired.

I still haven't seen a useful review yet.

I still haven't heard a sample.

There are no detailed metrics (dc resistance, res peak,freq response..nothing) about the pickups at guitarfetish.com

here you go (no audio sample though)

http://guitar.zentao.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23956

There is quite a few rewievs on harmony-central, but I don't realy trust them.  I don't expect high-end stuff at that price, but I do bevive they are better than the ones I have lying around. I even think they are splitable? Today I have 13 different on my pick-up combinations on my guitar. with splitable PUs I'll have even more... I'm starting to loose controll here...:D

After looking them over, they've got a hot to cool gradient in pickup output so you could even get away with swapping the middle and neck if you want yet another sound combination. The most important thing is what sort of music are you going to use them for? Rock n Blues type stuff, you'll be safe.

It really doesn't look like it's a bad deal. You can get them directly from their site @ $59.95 if you have trouble winning the bid for less.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/casetof3lilk1.html

:D

Edited by Gorecki

Thanks for trying!! 

This pretty much sums up the useful info from that thread - "for the price of GFS what have you got to loose?", lets see, money, time, effort and patience.  :D

Actually...these posts are in that thread:

"All their pickups are great."

"the H/B sound is warm & full, and warmer than the Dimarzio PAF pros in my other strat."

Well I'm inspired to register and give my two-pence worth.

I've got a couple of sets of GFS pickups, one is a set of "Alnico Fatboys" in a Frankenstein Tele project, the other is a set of "Cream Dreams" (P-90s in a humbucker frame) installed in my beloved 335. I'm very happy with both, the Tele set are essentially vintage Tele with a bit more "depth", slightly "browner" if you see what I mean. The P-90s are a real treat and have stayed in the 335 for nearly 2 years now, some sort of record for a tinkerer like myself.

As has been pointed out here the prices are excellent so you can't really lose. I've used GFS for a while now, both for pickups and other bits'n'pieces and they've always been a pleasure.

Well, the guitar needs new pick-ups, as it is my favourite guitar at the moment. Only thing that has bothered me, is the low output from the fender PU's. Guess that won't be a problem with these, so I'll give them a try.

I'm gonna use this guitar through a Jen wha-wha, a danelectro Daddy-o, a homemade Tubescreamer,Danelectro fish and chips EQ and a boss fv200 volume pedal. This goes into a Digitech GSP21pro for chorus, flanging and delay. Right now I run this into a Samick LA40R amp, witch soon will be replaced by two Kustom tube 12 amps for the stereo the digitech gives. Finally I'll have tubes too!!! Looking forward to hearing the result.

I'm looking for that dirty 70's rock sound, and that brilliant gilmour-style clean. I'm also using this guitar for my arpegios and sweeping in a 80's metal-band. From what I'we read this PU's will do the jobb on both. Guess I'll give them a shot.

I'm also wondering if anyone have any idea for the wiering diagram for this guitar. I have a switch for each pick-up where you can choose on, out of phase and of. I also have one volume, one tone and the last tone controlling a schottky-diode overdrive. There is no pickup switch. How would this wiering be with splitable pickups? Anyone have a diagram for a setup of this type? :D

Edited by syndromet

I slapped a hot-rail style GFS pup in the bridge position on my Tele (would've got the set, but I can't get my neck pup out :D ), and i love it to death. Its got great crunch, and at the risk of sounding like a retard, very "AC/DC" when used with the right amp and settings. And yes, it's splittable... I just can't get a hold of a push/pull pot locally.