Fender Dg1612e 12 String Acoustic Electric Guitar

Any one have experince with one? I have never played a 12 string and figured it would be a great one to try and learn with. Heck I dont even know how to tune one yet! The price seems fair and they have the 45 day return if I cant get the hang of it. Heres the link, any feed back and "tips" I will appereciate.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-951613-006.html

its just like playing a regular guitar except the strings are doubled and the spaceing is slightly larger. i was able to switch back and forth with little to no problems. Tuning is actually quite easy. You tune it the same way as a six string except you tune in pairs. Ee, Aa, Dd, Gg......and so on. I don't have any expierience with that guitar personally but it looks fairly decent for the price.

It came in yesterday evening! Its great! I recomend it to anyone wanting a lower priced 12 string acoustic/electric. It plays great the strings arent hard to push and the sound is amazing! Its not a small guitar its full sized, binding on front, back and the neck, it has a "mosiac" stripe down the back and on the bottom. the tuners are quality, they look like the more expensive type although they are not locking. It actually seems eaiser to play than my samick 6 string acoustic. I do have to use a pick.... I subconciencely count the strings when I finger pick, and on the 12 it throws me off, but with the pick I hardly have a problem. It is my new toy so I havent let anyone touch it yet :D My Daughter wants to try it, but hey as my dad use to say " let me lick the red off my candy first!" It plays so easy and sounds so good, I feel like its my birthday! :D

I'm not keen on Fender acoustics at all. I opted for a second hand 12 string, and I got a 1970's Hohner Leyanda LW-1200 N. Its a lovely guitar. Herringbone top and back, abalone rosette, bound neck and headstock, mahogany back and sides and a solid spruce top. I'll be fitting a piezo soon no doubt.

Anyway, I tune mine to DdGgCcFfaadd, to relive tension on the neck and strain on the top. It's quite an old instrument, so I think it's better i do this. I'd advise tuning down to Eb or D, and just using a capo.

Edited by Calum_Barrow

I'd advise tuning down to Eb or D, and just using a capo.

Auccually I would advise aganist this. Mabey on an old guitar I don't trust, but on a brand new fender I would -wan't- the extra string tension to make it sound better because 12 strings, cheap guitars, and fenders are overbuilt. That guitar has all three. Thus you would want more string tension to help drive that massive top with oodles of unscalloped bracing.

Edited by Godin SD

• 1 month later...
I'd advise tuning down to Eb or D, and just using a capo.

Auccually I would advise aganist this. Mabey on an old guitar I don't trust, but on a brand new fender I would -wan't- the extra string tension to make it sound better because 12 strings, cheap guitars, and fenders are overbuilt. That guitar has all three. Thus you would want more string tension to help drive that massive top with oodles of unscalloped bracing.

wat the...? that made very little sense,

Well in my experience tuning to D makes it alot more versatile, taking the harsh tension that u can get on the upper stringsand higher up the fretboard, i assume its 25.4" scale, yes? i have an ibanez rg that i turned into a 12-string, and the tension on that was high to say the least, and when i droped the tuning it felt alot better and sounded better. the tension will also not get more sound out of the top if it has un carved bracing, bigger wavelenght vibrations with a lower frequency will do that, hence detuning

correct me if im wrong

luke

:D

• 2 weeks later...